Chapter 7

The next day came slowly. I was tossing and turning all night my mind plaugued by the real terror of Draven sneaking up and choking, and between my blunder at the bonfire with Reid. It was obvious that conversations about his mate were strictly forbidden.

All day as my mother and I built a few raised garden beds for our medicinal herbs, my mind kept replaying my stupidity over and over. My stomach was in painful tight knots all day. The human side of me was afraid Reid would forget about being nice and kick us out of the pack.

But he wouldn't do that. Reid wasn't like Cain. Not at all. I had misjudged him entirely when I first met him. I couldn't really blame myself either, not after what I have been through with Cain and Draven.

"Hey there" came a friendly voice over by the entrance of the clinic. It was Becca. She was leaning against the awning post by porch watching us structuring the sides of the garden that would hold the dirt up and in the raised bed.

"Hi" I smiled "What do you think of the clinic?" I asked and wiped the dirt off my hands

"I've never wanted to go to the doctor's until now" she said making my mom laugh and smile at her.

"I just wanted to stop by before I went to watch Cayden's fight. He and Boone are battling it out."

Reid would probably be there. I hadn't seen him all day when I desperately wanted to set things right and apologize.

"Can I join you?" I asked quickly. My mother quirked her brow at me but I didn't care. All I could think about was Reid. It was driving me crazy.

Becca's smile grew. "Of course, come on"

We walked towards the training grounds and I listened to Becca talk about Nora and Jer and then what we should do for the next bonfire, but I really wasn't paying attention. My thoughts shifted towards the Red Clover plant and Dravens body.

Was he still out there? I tried to find his scent in the air but I couldn't smell it. If his body was still there I would have been able to pick up on it from here. Reid must have taken care of it.

"What's wrong?" Becca asked me noticing I was looking into the woods more than paying attention to her

"Sorry, it's just something that happened yesterday" I said quietly

"Reid told us about it" she nodded seriously "I didn't want to bring it up yesterday since we were all having a great time.. Are you okay?"

I forced a smile at her and nodded "Honestly, I've been through a lot worse. I just had a hard time sleeping is all" I said hoping she'd change the subject.

"Come on it's starting" she said pulling me towards the field.

I immediately spotted Reid who had his hands cupped around his mouth as he yelled out at Boone. Gamma's were usually the most skilled wolf in the pack at fighting. Sometimes they could even beat Alpha's. The only difference between an Alpha and Gamma was their sense of dominance. The Gamma's were driven to take orders while Alphas were the natural leader.

The two duking it out on the grass were fighting like thy would kill each other. The ground was shaking as their bodies slammed down, the grass flying out in chunks as they wrestled.

"Come on babe!" Becca yelled at Cayden

Reid glanced at us for a second and then focused back on the fight. I couldn't tell if he was still upset with me but I waited for the fight to end.

it was longer than you'd think.

Their fight must have lasted 20 minutes before Cayden finally wore down Boone and pinned him forcing him to tap out.

Boone and Cayden helped each other up, both exhausted from the fight. Becca flung herself into Cayden's side and landed a kiss on his cheek.

"I won babe" he smiled cheekily at her

My heart squeezed at how easy it was for them. Would I ever have that? Something deep inside me yearned for it, my wolf purred in response. We were getting along better and better these days. I think a lot of it had to do with having a pack that actually seemed to care about us.

I was standing by myself awkwardly until I spotted Reid slipping a shirt back on heading right for me.

I felt myself getting nervous as he approached. His usual business like demeanor slowly turned into a smile as he approached.

"Hi" I said nervousness evident in my voice

"Hi" he replied eyeing me down with his hazel green depths. I couldn't look away right now if I tried.

"How are the garden's coming?" he asked grabbing a bottle of water off the ground and downing it quickly.

"How'd you know?" I asked him confused "I didn't see anyone"

We started walking back towards town following behind the crowd of warriors.

"I wanted to check on you after yesterday you know.. but you were so focused, I didn't want to interrupt"

"Okay" I said trying to think of what to say to him now. He was obviously not upset with me, maybe just in the moment. The last thing I wanted to do was bring it up and have it happen again. "So are you ever going to want your living space back?" I asked suddenly changing the subject all together.

He laughed "Why? you don't like it?" he asked quirking his brow at me

"No, it's great, it's just.. I know you're not sleeping there and why would you want a random person living there?" I explained hoping I didn't offend him. "There's several rooms downstairs.. I could-"

He turned to me quickly "It's yours. You're not moving out until you move into a house"

My brows scrunched together confused again. Why did it feel like everyone was keeping something from me.

"I thought you built houses for the mates?" I asked treading carefully.

He shook his head with a smile plastered on his face "the mates" he repeated softer. "Just forget about it. If you really do like it, I want you there" he said finishing the conversation just as we were nearing the pack house.

"Can you let Maggie know I won't be back for dinner?" he asked as I climbed up the steps

I frowned at him "You won't be there?"

The corner of his lips turned up slightly for a second before his expression returned to his usual serious demeanor.

"We've got a survival camp for the new warrior trainees about 30 miles north in the mountains. Cayden and I are overseeing it"

"Survival?" I asked intrigued. I learned something new about Greenbrooke everyday.

"It's a test of their innate survival skills. Trying to identify those who have a higher level of instinct"

"Oh okay" I said lamely and fidgeted nervously wishing I had more to talk about. I was stalling to keep him here in front of me. Something about the way I felt around him, like I was free. It was addicting.

He slowly moved towards me making my stomach squeeze and a new fluttering sensation bloom and dance across my skin. He stepped up onto the porch stopping right in front of me. He was so close I could feel the warmth of his skin reaching me despite the cool air around us.

"Boone will be here. He will keep you safe" he said quietly. I could hear his heart beat increasing in speed as he studied me, his eyes dilating slightly the longer our eyes were connected "I'll be back in a few days"

I nodded and broke our eye contact looking at the wooden boards of the porch beneath my feet. I knew I could trust Boone, he was one of the strongest and ferocious fighters I had ever seen. Still a part of me, the human side and my wolf both in agreement, we didn't want Reid to leave.

I was at a loss for words. There wasn't anything I could say without it sounding like it was more than it was.

Reid's rough hand came up and cupped my cheek. I inhaled sharply feeling the pull to meet his eyes. As soon as our eyes connected, his hand disappeared from my face and he backed away from me with one last glance before he turned and left.