Chapter 2: I know it's messed up

will be edited soon for: grammar, consistency of the story, representing MC character better

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I was 10 when I heard my parents died in a car accident. I don't exactly know what happened that night. But I know I never expected it, there was never any reason for me to think of losing them like that. My parents were safe drivers. They never sped and were against drinking under influence. Even if my dad had one beer, he wouldn't drive even if it was hours later. My father used to say that a real man drinks, but a real man also brings his wife home safe.

I remember my parents needed to go to some sort of anniversary just a few kilometres away, it couldn't have been more than 15. My sister and I stayed home that night, it wouldn't be responsible to bring us anyway since I was just ten years old. My sister, Sabina would Always babysit me, and my parents had faith in her which they shouldn't have to be honest. She never was a good babysitter often leaving me alone for hours in a row.

We never got along well mainly because even though I was just a child; Sabina didn't seem to like me. I'm pretty sure she saw me as nothing but the annoying little girl who was the reason she couldn't go out that night. It was no surprise that I wasn't 'good' at being home alone with my sister. I didn't like it so I would spend my time staring at the door hoping my parents would enter any second.

But they never came home.

That night, the night that my parents died, I sat by the window as usual. It was the best place to see if the car came home. That night I was worried for some strange reason. Call it a gut feeling but I felt, no I knew, something was wrong. Of course, I have the power of hindsight now, but that feeling of something terrible happening was as real as what happened to them. As a ten-year-old I couldn't place it or understand why I felt that way, now I do.

My sister told me I had to go to bed "they will be home any second, stop whining". She wasn't worried at all. There was no reason for her to worry. At the age of 16 you know nothing happens when you leave the house. You just don't expect something terrible to happen when you leave. Just like my parents didn't know. They didn't know they would die. If they did, they would kiss me goodbye and say I had to be a big girl. They wouldn't leave me like that.

Besides, who predicts a car accident? They never said goodbye because there was no reason to say goodbye. There was no foul play involved, at least that's what the police told us.

They just were at the wrong place at the wrong time. The doctors said they probably didn't even feel pain as the impact of the collision was enough to instantly kill all passengers in the car. That was terrifying but somehow comforting at the same time. They hadn't bled out, or died in excruciating pain, they didn't have to fight for their lives.

They just died.

But I wonder about that moment just before. That one fragment of a moment before the collision. That moment when you know 'this is it, it's over'. They must have experienced that moment there is just no way that they didn't. They must have seen the wall; it was meters high.
They must have seen it right? But I'm not for sure. It is possible that they were about to hit someone walking on the parking lot and had to turn right causing them to collide. I hoped they never saw that wall, I hoped they never had the feeling of being close to death.

Even though the police concluded there was no crime involved, it was treated as foul play in the beginning stage of the investigation. The biggest reason were the brakes. It seemed like the brakes were malfunctioning that night. When investigating the car, it was concluded that the brake was stuck, it wouldn't budge. As it was a suspicious situation, the police didn't exclude the presence of foul play. Meaning that they expected someone tampered with the brakes.