Chapter 9: Never underestimate a woman with willpower

will be edited soon for: grammar, consistency of the story, respresenting MC character better

***

"This can't be our target. I thought she looked way different. She's like 80 and probably lives with 9 cats." Drew flipped through multiple pages, then went back to the '80-year-old'.

"Oh yeah that's my grandma. I just put a photo of her between the other files, of course it is our target, dumbass. Besides weren't you the one knowing it all?"

Drew wanted to say something but I cut him off.

"Okay, Mrs Smith. Strangely... you were right about her age she's 80. Lived her whole life in this neighbourhood. Loved by all the people here. Has 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. Position in the crime: get rid of the guards. Having a valuable map."

"Seriously? That woman got rid of the guards? She's fucking 80! It's a wonder she can still walk. How for fuck's sake did she knock out full grown men."

"Never underestimate a woman with willpower, Drew"

Drew just protested a little bit but walked with me to the door. The house really looked like a house of an old woman. It was small and looked cozy. There was a small garden before the house with colourful flowers.

"Let's kill an old lady." I said matter-of-factly.

"Chloe, you know that sounds pathetic."

"Oh, shut up! Just come here. You're not backing of because you're too scared of a lady with willpower, aren't you?"

"I wonder if you ever were a nice girl." Drew shrugged. I was, once.

I just ignored that comment and knocked on the door. I saw some movement through the window and an old woman walking to the door. Our target.

When she opened the door I put on my kindest smile.

"Hello miss Smith. We're from the Westwood college nearby. We heard that you're really into volunteering and for our class we have to interview someone like you, you know, the contributors to society."

The woman looked at me with her small eyes straight into mine. I'm trained to hold a straight face so my face expression doesn't change not even a little bit. Then she smiled. Like she didn't think of us as a thread. This woman really is observant. She knows she always has to pay attention to everyone that comes nearby. But with a past like hers you have to.

"Of course, my dear. You and your friend can come in."

Her voice sounded harsh. Not like you expect for an old woman. But I didn't mention it.

Before I walked through the door I showed Drew my evil smile. My plan worked. Ha told you! Drew rolled his eyes. He knew I was right.

When we entered the living room I cursed mentally.

A few meters away from me, sitting on the couch, was a girl. Probably 16 years old or something. I assumed she was Mrs Smith granddaughter. Nice. Another thing to take care of. I looked at Drew and he signed we just have to sit down. I mouthed 'girl'.

He shook his head. What does he mean? Did he think I would kill the girl? Of course not. That would be stupid. She's not the target and if I killed someone who's not involved Black would be furious. I took a deep breath and sat down.

"So, you want some tea or something else?"

"No thanks miss. We're good."

We can't have a distraction. We have to be alert every second. Part of the job.