Chapter 8

I woke up the next Saturday to the sound of multiple women chatting in our kitchen

I woke up the next Saturday to the sound of multiple women chatting in our kitchen. I appeared in the doorway in my 'I heart NYC' boxers and a giant t-shirt, wiping the sleep from my eyes. Two pristine and polished women glared at me. My mother smiled.

"Lou! You're awake," She reached for my hand and pulled me to the kitchen table. "This is Jenna and Liza."

"Uh hi, nice to meet you both," I muttered, still disoriented from just waking up.

The two women put on tight smiles that I could see straight through. Their clothes were pressed and pastel. Dyed hair with perfectly rigid curls.

"Eloise, your mother has told us so much about you," the tallest one, Jenna, said with a tight smile.

"Great."

"Are you here to help us plan?" Liza asked.

My eyebrows narrowed in confusion at the redhead in front of me. She was older than Jenna and looked to be in her late thirties.

"Oh, I forgot to mention it! Lou, they're all here to help me plan the wedding! We're thinking soon-"

My mother's voice was drowned out by my own thoughts. Ever since we'd gotten here, I'd forgotten all about the fact that my mom was supposed to marry Owein. My visions had consumed my thoughts. And they still did.

My mother was going to marry Owein. I kept replaying that statement in my head and was filled with a dark foreboding. Something strange was going on with my mother's fiancé. The same darkness that surrounded the Joy boys also surrounded Owein.

"Right," I interrupted. "I actually have to go meet a friend to see about a new job."

I excused myself from the kitchen, much to my mother's dismay. My excuse, while not completely true, was still slightly valid. Tilly did tell me to come by any time for an application and now seemed as good a time as any.

When I pulled in to the address Tilly gave me, my eyebrows raised in surprise. The outside of the building was overwhelmingly nice. The building of the club was huge and modern with white brick and big black swinging doors. The name 'Enigma' was emboldened on top in neon green lettering.

It was a stark contrast to the hole-in-the-wall bar that I'd previously worked at.

When I walked in, the place was dead except for a few workers. At a quarter till noon, I wasn't surprised at the lack of customers.

The emptiness allowed me to gauge the true ambiance of the club. Adhering to the color scheme from outside the club, the inside had a large dance floor with green lights decorated around it. Seeing as it was the middle of the day, I could only imagine what the lights looked like on. The ceiling was raised and there was another floor that consisted of a long balcony around the perimeter of the club.