Chapter 12

"An alpha?"

"An alpha?"

I did my best to maintain my composure at Tucker's sudden arrival. It was difficult, of course, to try and ignore the growing voice inside my head that screamed 'he's a murderer.' His brown eyes narrowed as he took in my face. My emotions must have been scrawled evidently across my features.

"An alpha is the most powerful werewolf in the pack. The leader," Elias chimed in.

I let that information sink in for a moment. An extraordinarily powerful werewolf was living under the same roof as me. Scratch that- I was living under his roof.

My knees suddenly felt wobbly, but I did my best to hide it. Now that I knew who and what these boys were, I felt a strong desire to not let them see any weakness. God knows that Ben and Tucker had already seen too much from me.

There was just so much to take in and my brain felt like it was exploding.

The Joy boys stood with me for about an hour answering more and more questions. Even Noah, who I had learned was only seven, chimed in on a few questions. One of them, however, was silent and brooding through the entirety of the conversations.

It wasn't until I made my way to go home that he'd finally said something.

I hugged Ben goodbye and when I turned around, Tucker was facing me.

"I'll walk you out."

My heart dropped to the floor at the thought of being alone with him. I told myself it was fear, but there was something else sitting at the pit of my stomach.

We walked for a few moments in silence. I snuck glances at him through my lashes but he was always stoic. His sharp, angular features were hard and unmoving. His eyes flicked toward me and noticed my stare. I couldn't look away.

"You have more questions?" he asked.

I could say nothing but shook my head in response. I wanted to ask him about the man he murdered. If he had a family. If Tucker felt any remorse. None of those questions came.

He sighed and stopped walking.

"Lou, I don't know how much you saw when you touched me, but do we need to talk about it?"

I shook my head again.

"Ben told me what you said," he continued, "about us being murderers. Me, specifically."

It took all of my willpower to meet his eyes. There was such power and strength that radiated off of Tucker that it made it difficult not to shrink under his gaze. I stood strong in front of him, not letting myself be diminished in the power of his presence.

"I saw you murder that man."

Tucker's eyes closed briefly as he registered my statement. He didn't let any emotions cloud his face, but I sensed them just the same.