Chapter 28

"So you know what to do, right?" Tucker asked the following Sunday

We were riding in his truck toward the home of some of his pack members. The nature of our visit was dangerous because it required the utmost secrecy. Someone had to challenge Owein and Tucker and I were going to find them.

"Don't tell them my name, don't tell them my relation to Owein at all. All I need to do is show them all the evidence we've found with these," I wiggled my fingers at him.

"That's a good psychic," Tucker joked and patted my head patronizingly.

I shoved his hand away and laughed. Ben's voice echoed in my head warning me against my feelings but it was hard being so close to his brother. Confined within the truck, I could practically see the fizzling of power coming from him. It was tantalizing.

I did my best to fill my head with other thoughts.

"Why do we need only one of them to challenge him? Can't they all just fight back against him?"

Tucker sighed. "He's got allies in the pack too- people loyal to him. The truth is, I don't know if we'd come out on the winning side."

"And the challenge?"

"The challenge is ceremonial. Only the alpha and the one who challenged him can fight."

Something about the way he talked about the challenge set me on edge. The entire ordeal sounded terrifying, but it sounded like it was our only option. Power buzzed off of him and I closed my eyes, overcome by it.

Tucker didn't seem to notice my tension because he continued to rattle on about the members of the pack. Apparently, most of them weren't threatening. They were his friends. His family. They weren't a threat to him. To me, an outsider, it would be a different story.

We met the first member in a coffee shop.

A pretty blonde young woman was sitting at the corner booth of the shop waiting for us. She was young, recently out of college perhaps. She guzzled coffee like it was her major.

"Tuck, I haven't seen you in a while and," she paused when she looked at me. "This is not your girlfriend."

He coughed a little and her abruptness surprised me into a laugh.

"Uh no. Megan, this is a friend of mine. We have some sensitive stuff to discuss with you."

Tucker explained to her the situation we were in and Owein's actions. Just like the members that would follow her, she needed proof- which was when I took her hands and showed her.

"Fuck," she muttered and ripped her hands away.

She eyed me warily, rubbing her hands together. I suppose it was a little off-putting- having memories put into your head that weren't yours. I'd gotten so used to it I forgot seeing visions wasn't a normal part of life. At least she believed us now. The visions enraged her.