1 - Different in every way

I'm staring out of the tall windows as I wait for the headmaster. Hogwarts is a lot like Ilvermorny, yet different in every way. It's so much more open, and grand. I can see miles and miles into the distance and every inch is imposing.

"Y/N Y/L/N, welcome to Hogwarts, school for witchcraft and wizardry", a man speaks and I turn around. A man known all over the world stands in front of me, and I find myself dumbfounded. "I'm Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, your headmaster for the next few years, at least that's what I hope for", he says and approaches me. "It has been a while since we've had a transfer student, it must be rather exciting for you."

"It is indeed, sir."

"You'll be entering your fifth year, along with your peers. What house were you in back in Ilvermorny?"

"The Horned Serpents, sir."

"Ah, represents the mind, I've always liked that house. I believe the mind is what makes the wizard and then I'm not referring to intelligence", he says.

"The first-years have arrived, which means the Sorting Ceremony will begin shortly. I'll assign you a mentor to guide your through your first days as you have been sorted. Professor McGonagall will take you there", he says as the professor walks by, followed by a bunch of first-years.

"Oh, you must be Y/N Y/L/N, follow me please", she says and so I do.

——

"Welcome, to a new year at Hogwarts", Dumbledore says and students started to applaud.

"Now now, as always, I have a few rules to go over. The Forbidden Forest is, as the name says, strictly forbidden to all students, as well as the third floor corridor on the right-hand side. I also want to remind you to mind your curfews. No one is allowed outside of their common room past curfew. Lastly, we have a transfer student, all the way from Ilvermorny, North America. She'll be entering her fifth year. I suggest you treat her kindly", Dumbledore says and I feel the blood rising to my head. I'm not too keen on attention, especially not from hundreds of kids.

I hear a couple of shouts and whistles and turn my head. A boy with platinum blonde hair is smirking as he nudges his pal next to him. He is sitting on top of the table, like he owns the place. I roll my eyes. Slytherin, I read about that house.

"Maya Davies", professor McGonagall shouts and a girl with long black hair in a braid runs forward. An old hat is placed on her head and it starts to talk. The Sorting Hat, I also read about that. I find it rather fascinating, we didn't have that system back at Ilvermorny. "Gryffindor!" The hat shouts and the girl smiles brightly. "Brian Thompson."

The Sorting Ceremony went on for quite a while. I am up last and everyone is kind of bored by now. I was until my name is called and for some reason, nerves start running through my body. I have no idea where I belong. I heard Hufflepuffs were kind and loyal, Ravenclaws smart and creative, Gryffindors brave and daring and Slytherins ambitious and cunning. I am generally kind, smart too and I would stand up for myself if necessary. I am definitely ambitious. I have a bit of everything, yet I feel like I don't have enough of one to belong somewhere.

McGonagall places the hat on my head and I breath in and out slowly, to try and calm down the nerves. "Hmm... ", the Sorting Hat says. "Definitely a lot of brain an curiosity, but kind at heart too. You have spike, not someone to mess with. Difficult, difficult", it says. If even the Sorting Hat doesn't know the answer...

"Ravenclaw!" It shouts and I look up surprised. The blue table applauds and motions me to come over. The wise and witty. "Such a pity, she's hot", I hear and see the blonde boy again with the same smirk. What an arrogant twat. I roll my eyes again and sit in an empty spot at the Ravenclaw table.

"Don't mind him, that's Draco Malfoy. Not someone you want to get along with", an Asian girl says.

Nice to meet you Y/N Y/L/N, a girl with long, curly blonde hair says. Her voice is calming and her smile makes me feel welcome. I shake her hand. "I'm Luna Lovegood, fellow Ravenclaw", she says. "Nice to meet you too, Luna."

"I thought you were American", the Asian girl states, surprised at my British accent.

"I am, half. I was born in England, with a British dad and an American mum, and moved to America when I was six", I say.

"Oh, well it's nice to meet you too. I'm Cho, Luna and I are also fifth years." She's got the same warm smile. At least it's going great for now.