4 - Break a leg, really

To say I'm nervous is definitely an understatement. A good amount of Ravenclaws are sitting in the stands, as well as a couple of the other houses, including Malfoy. I want to wipe that smug smirk of his face as soon as possible.

Luckily I'm in the first team to play. There are still a bunch of others waiting for the next game. Cho said I had a good chance of getting in, since I'm a fifth year and I'm confident in my Quidditch skills, but I have no insight whatsoever of the level of Quidditch played here, so that leads to me having no clue what to expect.

I just met Roger when giving up my name. I'm going for a spot as a Chaser, since I'm most skilled at that. He looked at me with a look that I couldn't possibly decipher. I just really need to calm down these nerves.

"Okay Y/N, time to shine", I mumble as I see Roger opening the box of balls.

"Make sure not to drop it, nerd!" I hear from the stands behind it.

"Break a leg, like really, please break one", his girlfriend says and they all start laughing. Luckily Roger silences them with one look. Oh he's so going to regret ever challenging me. Confidence is half the work, right?

The Bludger and snitch fly away on their own, but my eyes are on the Quaffle. Roger throws it in the air and as soon as the whistle is blow, I shoot towards it. We're playing against a sixth year and two fourth years.

I'm first to reach the Quaffle, but both a Bludger and a Chaser from the other team are on my heels so I quickly pass it to a teammate. Not the most exciting shot, but at least I got the Quaffle for our team.

I thank myself for years and years of Quidditch at home, with my cousins on birthdays and holidays. Most of my family was pureblood, except for my parents and a couple of uncles, which resulted in Quidditch games every time we came together. And even though girls weren't allowed on the House Teams, I used to play Quidditch with my friends all the time when we had a couple of spare hours. I kind of miss those friends... but no time to think about that.

I threw the Quaffle again and Max, a fourth year in my team scores by slamming my pass through the bottom left hoop with the back of his broomstick.

"Great pass!" He shouts. Well, it might have been a good pass, but I didn't score the goal. I only scored three and Max scored four, so I'm not feeling all too great.

The whistle is blown and even though our team has won, I don't feel too optimistic. I should have thought more about myself instead of passing the Quaffle up all the time. In the end, a Chaser needs to score, right?

"Only three scores? Oh Mrs Norris, enjoy your little life while it lasts", Malfoy shouts. He's such an annoying git.

"Y/N, you were great!" Cho calls out when she lands her broomstick.

"Was I really?" I say sarcastically and loosen my gloves.

"Are you kidding me? You'll definitely have a spot!" She says and I look at her confused.

"She's not wrong, you know."

I turn around and look at the team captain: Roger Davies.

"That was some great work out there. You're very good at working in a team, you know exactly who has the best opportunity to score and when, you're not egocentric and pass when needed and really, your passes are immaculate!"

I look at him in awe.

"Really?" I ask him and a smile creeps on my face. This sure is a confidence boost.

"Really, you have a spot on the team as Chaser, if you want it of course", he says.

"If I want it? Are you kidding me? Yes!" I say and in a wave of excitement I hug the poor guy, who was clearly not expecting that.

"I'm sorry about that", I say and quickly let go as I realise what I'm doing. "Thanks a lot", I say and smile. "I'll contact you in a bit about training and such. Welcome to the team", he says and walks away. The team. I'm on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team!

"I'm so happy for you!" Cho says and hugs me tightly.

We talk a bit more about the game when I realise a very important detail. Malfoy. I quickly turn my head, but only see empty stands.

"He left soon after the game ended", Cho says.

"Oh, he can escape now, but he'll definitely do my potions homework", I say with a smirk.

We walk back to the castle and up to the common room. Roger will announce the new team in an hour or so. My moment of fame, kind of. To kill the time I decide to go to the library for a bit. We have to write a 40 inch essay about werewolves. Believe me, I love to write, but 40 inches? Parchment has become cheap all at once? And then there are the OWL's to study for... Merlin's beard.

I pass my fingers along the spines of several books about creatures, but werewolves doesn't seem to pop up.

"I suppose you're looking for this one." I look around and a girl with wavy, light brown hair is handing me a book. It reads: "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" by Newt Scamander.

"I am, thank you", I say and take the book.

"I suppose you're looking for the chapter about lycanthropy, it's page 89, also known as -"

"Werewolves", I finish her sentence. "Y/N Y/L/N, Ravenclaw", I say and shake her hand.

"Hermione Granger, a pleasure to meet you", she says with a smile.

"Thank you for your help, I haven't quite found my way yet around here", I state, looking lost at the rows and rows of books, waiting to be read.

"It's no problem really. Umbridge is a spawn of the devil. I wish she'd come across a werewolf", Hermione says and I chuckle.

"By the way, I wouldn't be too negative about the Werewolf Code of Conduct in 1637, she's quite a fan of the ministry", she follows and I sigh.

"I've never learned about this. I can tell you all about American laws around magical creatures, but it's so much different here", I sigh.

Hermione takes out a book from her bag.

"This was my Defense Against the Dark Arts course from third year. There's a chapter about werewolf history as well, you can take it", she says and slides it over to me. "Chapter 52." I believe that girl knows the dictionary by heart. I smile at her gratefully.

"I've read that Americans are very strict when it comes to magical creatures, is that true?" she asks.

"Yeah, kind of. It used to be really bad, but it has gotten a lot better since this guy", I say and point at the author of the Magical Creatures book. "But most creatures are still held illegally, unfortunately."

She nods, completely fascinating about the new piece of information.

"Well, I have to go see Harry, I'll see you around Y/N!" she says and walks off with a new stack of books. I kind of like her.