2 - A gift for occlumency

"A Ravenclaw huh? The house no one cares about!" I am walking through the hall with Cho as he approaches me. The blonde jerk, sod, arse, however you want to describe him. Cho told me a little more about him as she noticed his comments towards me, and everything she said was far from positive. A stuck-up pureblood family, filthy rich and definite ties with the Dark lord, no thanks.

Apparently a mommy's boy as well, so I expect him to be not too hard to handle. I just need to get rid of him as fast as possible.

"Ignore him, he'll get bored eventually", Cho says and I shrug.

"I'm surprised, Americans aren't known to be the smartest", he says as he catches up to me.

I roll my eyes, which is something I do frequently around him apparently, and pick up my pace.

"Ignoring me now, Y/L/N?" Malfoy says and stands in front of me, blocking my path. I raise an eyebrow and cross my arms. Damn, this bloke is annoying. "Can I pass, please?" I ask with a fake smile.

"What's the magic word?" he says mockingly.

"I was thinking about flipendo, stupify, incendio even?" I spit back.

"How do you dare to talk to me like that?" He starts, "Do you-"
"Oh shut up, Malfoy", I say and he seems taken back by my comment, but he quickly regains his posture.

"You know my name already, good", he says.

"Of course, it suits you", I say with a smirk. He looks confused.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he spits.

"Malfoy, coming from mal foi in French", I say, leaving a pause. He obviously doesn't get it.

"Unfaithful", I add slowly and he looks at me intensely. I feel like he can look straight into my soul with his bright silvery-blue eyes. He doesn't give up.

"A real nerd, maybe you do belong in Ravenclaw. Where else? Definitely too big of a mouth to be a Hufflepuff. Not like anyone was expecting that, most Hufflepuffs are cute", he says and that smirk is lurking around the corners of his mouth again.

"Damn, you really think you're all that, huh? I have to disappoint you, you're even more of a twat that they say you are", I sneer. He's quite a lot taller than me so I try my best to seem confident.

His annoyed look brings me joy. He seems to become one of those people who I enjoy bickering with. A challenge, kind of.

"Let's just go Y/N", Cho says, but both Draco and I ignore her.

"You're one to talk. American, half blood and then your mother, pathetic", he says. The mum comment hurt, but I try my best to not let it show. I'm quite good at hiding emotions I must say. A gift for occlumency, as my previous Divination teacher told me.

"Already stalking me, I didn't know you had a crush on me, Malfoy", I say with a smile and push past him. He doesn't respond anymore, which makes it just a bit more fun.

"That was scary, yet awesome!" Cho says as she catches up to me. "Are you sure you're not a Gryffindor? Most people don't talk to Malfoy like that?" she says.

"Why not? He's just a stuck-up brat", I say and she shrugs.

"Stuck-up or not, his family is extremely powerful. You don't really want to be on his bad side".

"Well it's too late for that anyway. How about you show me our dorms?" I ask to change the subject. Cho is immediately excited. She takes my hand and rushes me through the corridors.

"Since Dumbledore assigned me as your mentor, I believe you're in my room", she says as we reach the door of the Ravenclaw common room.

Cho knocks once and silence fills the corridor. There's no key hole, no doorknob, only a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle. Just as I take a step closer to look at it in detail, it opens its mouth and I spring back. Cho giggles.

'Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?' the eagle speaks. I'm stunned, what is this? "Hmm... not quite sure", Cho mumbles.

"What's going on?" I ask confused.

"You have to answer to open the door, what did you expect?" she says as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

"I think the fire came first, since it's one of the most rudimental thing on earth. Take for example the sun", she says and keeps on mumbling random facts about fire. It stays quiet.

"Well that's surprising, come on, say phoenix so we can get in. I can't try anymore", she says.

"You really think it's phoenix?" I ask. "It really is a circular argument. And there's no beginning to a circle is there?" I say more to myself than to Cho.

"Well reasoned", says the voice and the door swings open.

"Good job!" Cho exclaims and hops in.

Stunning, that's the best way to describe the room. The soft beige walls were filled with paintings, racks of books and banners with the Ravenclaw

I'm most amazed by the domed ceiling painted with stars and Cho giggles as I look at it in awe.

"It's pretty great isn't it?" she says as she drops down on one of the couches. All I can do is nod.

"Chop chop! You've got loads of things to unpack and it's getting late, to your dorm", she says and jumps up. That girl is so unpredictable.

I shake myself from my thoughts and follow her up the stairs. Our dorm was just as nice as the common room, with wooden beds and dressers, a big wardrobe, tall windows and dark blue drapes.

"Welcome to our dorm, I used to share this one with only Lisa, but she finished last year, so I suppose it's the two of us now", she says. I look over to her side. She has a couple of pictures of her, her family and this one boy. I almost want to ask her about it when I notice the big Quidditch poster above her bed.

"You're a Quidditch fan?" I ask excited.

"Definitely, I'm our house's seeker!" She says with pride.

"Girls can be on the house teams?" I ask full of wonder. That was not the case at Ilvermorny. Girls could play, of course, but we'd never make the house team.

"Of course, silly, couldn't you at Ilvermorny?" she asks. I shake my head.

"Well, if you're any good you should come to try-outs, they're this Friday", she says. "We're looking for another chaser and a beater, since Jeremy and Inglebee graduated last year."

"I'd love to", I say.

"I'll let Roger know then, he's our team captain. You unpack, I'll see you in a bit."