[2] - Butt cheek screech

[ c h a p t e r 2 ]

"Ice cream is happiness condensed."

- Jessie Lane Adams

🍨🍧🍦

By the time I got to Old Orchard beach it was almost five thirty which meant I was late for my shift at the ice cream shop. I usually worked at the shop Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and occasionally on weekends. But I was usually here on my off hours just to help out with Mr. Orland or just munch on some Choco-O. Summer, Autumn, Spring and Winter it didn't matter-I needed my ice cream fix.

I parked my car and switched my combat boots to flip flops and got out. As I opened my car door the smells of fried dough, kettle popcorn, sea salt wafted through the mid-August breeze and I inhaled the beautiful scenery that was Portland, Maine. I noticed a few passersby's heading towards the beachfront amusement park. From where I stood in the parking lot I could see the giant red and white Ferris wheel also known as the Big Wheel, illuminated by the twinkling lights which covered it

I walked across the boardwalk towards the Pier. I passed Lenny's Tattoo Shop, Nimble Eats, Fried Dough then finally Val's Creameria.

The jingly sound of the bell hanging by the entrance door rang as I entered the shop signaling my arrival. Donny, Rory's fifteen year old younger brother, was at the counter was serving what looked like a seven year old girl. She had bright red hair which was set in pigtail braids and she was in bathing suit and denim shorts. From the aggravated look on Donny's face it seemed he was having a difficult time in serving the little girl since she kept bouncing on her toes, pointing to every flavor of ice cream lined in rows of containers in the front refrigerator display.

"Hey Donny!" I greeted as I entered the shop.

As I walked towards the back and he gave me a pleading look and I laughed softly.

He hated having to deal with the over-excited children. But he like everyone else here hated it more when those obnoxious teens came into the shop only asking for consecutive taste samples of every flavor then skipped out on the actual order a.k.a his brother and his gang of friends-excluding Drew.

"Hello Iddie" Mr Orland's deep chipper voice greeted me as I entered the back kitchen.

Now, Mr. Orland Stensen or Mr. O as I like to call him was a tall, thin, Jewish man with a real shortly cut afro and bushy eyebrows. He always had a happy attitude. Here at the creameria, we called him the chemist because he was in charge of formulating and incorporating any new flavors into the menu of the cremeria. He and Ms. Val co-owned Val's Creameria which opened up fifteen years ago and has been thriving ever since. They both took pride in their unique and delicious flavors which were considered some sort of an ice cream delicacy to the population of Portland, Maine. Every summer they had to hire extra four servers to help out since it got to packed with the tourists and regulars.

"Hey Mr. O, uhm, sorry I'm late" I apologized shuffling my feet.

Mr. Orland took a peek at me while continuing to mix the chocolate mint ice cream he was working on.

"Iddie, seriously I don't mind. You spend too much time in the shop as it is. Ms. Val and I were starting to worry." He chuckled.

"I do not!!!"I pouted and crossed my arms over my chest. This caused him to put down the bowl and laugh out loud.

I grumbled under my breath as I continued on to the back of the shop which housed the employee locker room. It's not my fault I have a sweet tooth!

I changed into my uniform which consisted of a beige and white stripped apron and a purple visor which had Val's Creameria embroidered on it. I tied my long wavy black hair into a messy bun and headed out .