Duck L'orange

My happiest memories take up one city block. Growing up, it was always just my dad and me. I spent most afternoons at the restaurant my father owned.
And, occupying the restaurant was my dad's greatest chefs and my bestest friends. Ah, it was the best time of my life.
With rave reviews and celebrity clientele, my dad's restaurant was a huge success.
In short, he was my role model and one of my reasons to open up my own restaurant.
I was just a kid with big dreams, yet it led me to where I am now.
Even though it has been ten years ago, I still remember the last night my dad and I had dinner together at the restaurant very late at night.
We sat together at the table and I was enjoying my plate of duck l'orange when my dad smiled at me.
It was his last smile and I will always remember that.
"Charles, do you know why our family restaurant is the best in town?"
I stopped munching and stared at him for a second. There were nothing else to think of except for it being fancy and a lot of famous people coming in.
At least, that was what I thought.
My dad sighed. I was wrong.
"The biggest reason that our restaurant is the best in town, and probably the best in the world, is that every bite tastes like a good friend's cooking."
He put down his fork and knife and smiled wider. His eyes were shining under the light, looked so content.
"I've always thought that dinner at the table should be happy place," he went on, "and I hope that you will live a life with wonderful meals. I hope you can create amazing dishes and make other people happy as well. Make your own restaurant a home for others."
His words were my motivation to start my own business. He was right, a restaurant should be a home for our customers.
That was what I felt about his restaurant (before it was shut down), that it began to taste like home.
Like invisible fingerprints.
The unique flavor of each chefs, became as dear and as familiar as my dad's cooking.
Until at the age of twenty, I finally found my calling: cooking is my life.

Twelve Years Later.
Sunday Morning.

BZZZTTT BZZZTTT BZZZZTTTT

Ugh, what is that noise? Ah yes, my phone.
Who would call me on a Sunday morning?!

BZZZTTT BZZZTTT BZZZTTT
Ugh, it keeps vibrating.
My body feels so heavy right now, I barely can move. I forced myself to get up, pulling every inch of life left in my body and slide down the bed.
Took one moment to inhale, since I have a bad feeling about this. Nobody will call me on a Sunday morning unless it is bad news.
My phone kept buzzing angrily, screaming to get my attention.
With one huge step, I walk across my room to my desk and found my phone screaming.
On the screen, my friend's name was written.
My dear old friend; Sam.
This is not good.
I gulped, hoping for the best.
Once I accepted the call and reached the phone to my ear, I can feel my heart beating very fast.
"He-" I begin.
"Charles! Have you seen Angel's new Youtube video?!" Sam didn't give me a chance to say hello. This is BAD. I might as well call 911.
But I stayed in silence for a couple of minutes.
Wait, Angel who? I don't know anybody named Angel....except...
"Angel? That food personality thing? That girl who is currently a huge hit?" I asked, trying to sound normal. Inside, I am currently panicking and nearly screamed my head off. Why would Sam call me on a Sunday morning to talk about some chick on the internet?! I mean, can't he wait until day time? I do still need my beauty sleep. I haven't get enough sleep recently and now when I get the chance, he started bothering me to talk about Angel? I mean, really dude!
"Yeah, her. Have you seen her latest video? It is about your restaurant, bro. And it doesn't look good."
Felt like a thunder just hit me right on the chest. His last sentence is like a dagger to the heart. I never ever had any bad reviews from anybody, and does this mean this Angel girl gave my restaurant a BAD REVIEW?
"What do you mean?" My voice started to tremble now, I can't control myself anymore. I am panicking, I am worried, I am SCARED.
"Just go check her video, man. Then call me back, we need to discuss it." He then end the call before I could say anything.
I took a deep breath, trying to think positive. Maybe Sam is just playing with me, there is no way Angel would give my restaurant a bad review.
Plop!
I sat down on and immediately opened my laptop. As quick as a flash, I searched for her Youtube channel and found her latest video.
My heart nearly stopped beating when I saw the thumbnail and title of the video. In the thumbnail showed a picture of her with a disgusted face eating something unclear and the title says, "Trying the Worst Food Ever at the Worst Restaraunt!"
Without even watching that stupid video, I already can imagine what she would say about my restaurant.
But, why?!
The food that is served in my place is the best ever and is made with the best chefs in town. Nobody has ever complained before, even the celebrities who came over really enjoyed their meal.
I sighed. It seemed as though my dream to have the best restaurant in town was already over before it had truly started.
But still, I need to see this video to know where did it go wrong.
With one deep breath, I forced my finger to click on that video.