Chapter Fourteen

Stunning cover made by Imperfect_Sunshine Thanks!

What songs do y'all think go with this book? I'm in the process of making a playlist ;) 

His Game: Chapter Fourteen

With a bag of Chinese food in hand ready for Joey and I to devour, I walk up her front porch and stand in wait.

We agreed on having a dinner date tonight. Friday. The night I'm meeting her brother. To say I'm not nervous would be a lie; Joey was amazing with Belle, better than I ever could have asked for, but what if I'm not great with her brother?

She said herself he's more difficult than Belle and small things set him off, and I could easily say something that makes him angry and then have him and Joey hate me.

That situation is one I don't want to fall into.

Nonetheless, I should feel honored she's trusting me enough to let me meet someone who has such an impact on her life. As I stand on the porch, I can't help the smile that slips onto my lips.

Though a lot of the girls that play this game introduce me to their families, meeting them has never felt as important as meeting Jacob does. So yeah, I'm nervous, but that doesn't scare away my excitement.

I knock on the door since Joey didn't respond to my text informing her that I'm here. I fix my shirt a little as I hear footsteps come towards the door. Can't have any random wrinkles on me.

My smile starts to widen on its own as the door opens, but then it completely falters when I don't see Joey on the other side. Instead I see an older man with buzzed gray hair, an impressive build, and strict posture.

Oh shit.

Her dad.

Who is a United States Marine.

And could kick my ass in less than two seconds.

I gulp down my nerves and send him a smile, "Hello sir, I-"

He eyes the Chinese food I have settled in my arms and narrows his eyes, "Wrong house for delivery, kid. Try 9120 instead of 02."

Then he shuts the door in my face.

I blink.

Do I...do I knock again?

I don't know how long I stand here questioning every decision I've ever made in life that led me to this moment where Joey's dad thought I was the Chinese delivery boy. But eventually I work up the nerve to knock again and correct his mistake as politely as possible.

I knock again, and this time the door opens a little faster and instead of her father on the other side, I see Joey standing there. She's wearing the same Marines sweatshirt I've seen her in before, very little makeup on her face and her hair slightly wet from a previous shower.

"That's why my dad said the Chinese guy was here..." she breathes as she stares at the bag of Chinese food. Then she steps to the side, "Come on in, sorry about that."

I chuckle it off and step inside, but before I can respond I hear her dad from the living room to our right.

"No, Jo, I didn't order Chinese! The poor kid is confused, he meant to go to the Williams house probably."

I move my eyes to Joey who huffs in annoyance, but has a small grin from the humorous ridiculousness of this situation.

"No, dad," she laughs, pulling me further into view, "This is Rhett. The guy I told you about?"