Chapter 1

Sarah was a smart ten year old girl, if I may say so myself. She had a square mind. An infallible logic, one might say. Not much escaped her from a very young age.

She was more than capable of looking after herself at the early age of eight. She had even asked her parents to refrain from hiring a babysitter for her. You see to Sarah, it was as clear as the sky during a warm summer day, that she was no longer a baby. Thus, in no need of a babysitter!

Inside Sarah's mind everything was placed in the correct order. Organized to the point. Her alarm clock beeped at 8:01 every morning on school days. She promptly threw the covers off her and by 8:23 she was fully clothed, had her teeth brushed, face washed, hair done in a side ponytail, backpack over her shoulder and was going down the stairs for breakfast.

She was always on a schedule.

She had a schedule for when her homework needed to be done, how much time she would spend with her friends. She even had her outfits picked out for the whole week from the previous week. This was how Sarah liked everything, scheduled.

But alas, not everything in life follows a schedule...

Enter Lucas. Sarah's younger brother. The two of them could not get along peacefully. Why you ask? Well, let's just say you will see for yourself later on.

Lucas was a bright young boy as well, at the age of seven. However, he had a few obstacles that prevented him to excel in the ordinary sense. In particular, Lucas was still struggling to learn how to read and write. The doctor had examined him when he was five years old. Lucas was diagnosed with dyslexia.

Be that as it may, that did not hinder him one tiny bit in exploring and learning. He just went about it in different manner than most. Some people might consider him not normal, but then again who says what is normal? Do you know?

Where I come from, abnormal is the normal...

And even though Sarah could not understand why her brother did the things he did. Even though sometimes he annoyed her immensely. And even though she sometimes wanted to kick his butt. She loved him. She loved him unconditionally.

Their dad had instilled in them a set of rules from an early age. One of those rules was never go to bed mad at your loved ones. Thus, every night, no matter how chaotic their day was. No matter how upset the two siblings were towards each other. They lay together in bed and read fairy tales.

Sarah had grown out of them. She did not believe in fairy tales any more, she stopped believing the day she lost her father. She had wished and wished for her father to come back to them. But no one had listened.

That was when magic, fairy godmothers, princesses, unicorns and elves ceased to exist for Sarah.

What she had not stopped, was snuggling up underneath Luca's lime green comforter each night to read.

Little did Sarah know that their simple night time routine would lead to a series of unexpected events. An adventure that awaited them just around the corner...

Now, where shall we start our story? I believe the middle is a good place to start don't you?

No? Hmm, perhaps you are correct but then again maybe you are not.

*****

"Lucas, stop."

He froze.

His head slowly rose from the item in front of him that was placed in between his legs on the ground. He stared at his sister with a mischievous sparkle in his eye.

Lucas shifted himself a little to the right to hide his 'treasure' from Sarah and picked up a yellow screwdriver that was next to his dark blue Converse sneakers.