9| Stay Around

Sometimes I put up a wall to protect how I feel
When I fear the darkness
My heart is guarded

American Authors, Stay Around

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Piper's POV

I'm working on homework in the computer room when Sebastian walks in. "How'd it go?" I ask, remembering his Valentine's Day goal.

"Didn't happen... She wasn't here yesterday." He hesitantly says.

"Maybe she went on a secret Valentine's Day date all day with someone. You're sure she's single, right? It'd be really helpful if you just tell me her name." I say.

"Not gonna happen, Mae." He emphasizes my middle name.

I smack his shoulder and say, "Don't call me that. I'm just saying it might not be obvious who's single and who's not just from seeing them at school. Some girls soft launch their relationships and all that jazz."

"She's single. But hopefully not for long." He says, fidgeting with something in his backpack.

"Whatever. Do you want to help me answer messages on my blog?" I ask, deciding to take a break from my homework.

"Really?" He asks excitedly.

"We're close enough, I guess. Valerie doesn't like giving advice because it's too much pressure." I say.

Dear Mae,

I like this guy, and I'm pretty sure he likes me back. But I feel like he's way out of my league, and I'm just ordinary. Should I still ask him out?

~T

You know who's out of your league? Sebastian. Fuck you.

"What would your response be?" I asked, turning to face Sebastian.

"I'd go for it." He says.

"Really? It's that simple for you." I say with a smug grin.

"Fine. Want to make a bet?" He asks seriously.

"On what exactly?" I ask, confused.

"You think I'm a chicken." He states.

"I never said that to your face," I say, fighting a smile.

"I'll ask her out. Today. Or tomorrow. Before the week ends." He decides.

"I'll bet on that. Buy me a bag of Kit Kats when you don't end up asking." I say, scrolling through submissions.

"When I ask her, you will tell me I'm not a chicken. Then you'll tell me I'm your favorite person. And finally, that I'm the best company during study hall." He says with a grin.

"Sebastian," I say in a serious tone.

He nervously swallows, and I place my hand on his shoulder. "I try not to lie to my friends. Those are three lies I would be saying to your face. But I'm not worried since you won't ask her." I say, turning back to my computer.

"We'll see about that." He says with determination. It's cute he genuinely cares about putting in all this effort for his crush rather than texting her and making her plan the date.

"Help me with this one," I say, not really reading what I chose.

Dear Mae,

I have a crush on this guy, but he has a crush on someone else. I don't know how to get rid of these feelings. What do I do?

~E

That sounds like someone I know. Shut up.

Before we can answer, the bell rings, and I silently sigh. What would you have said? I'm not really sure.

Sebastian packs his stuff up and walks toward the door. But instead of leaving me behind, he glances at me and pauses.

"You coming?" Sebastian asks.

"Ya, sorry," I say, putting on my backpack.

"You okay?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Ya, a lot on my mind, I guess. Mainly food." I lie.

"Do you want me to buy you a Kit Kat from the vending machine?" He asks.

"You're sweet, but that's not necessary," I say, meeting him at the door.

We get to class and set down our stuff. "I'm going to the restroom." He says, getting out of his chair.

"Don't fall in," I say with a small smile.

When he comes back, I see he has a Kit Kat bar and my favorite drink from the vending machine. "Seb..." I say, genuinely surprised.

"It's not much, but you looked like you needed cheering up." He says, placing them on my desk.

"Thank you. You're the best." I say, immediately opening the Kit Kat.

Sebastian's face heats up, and says, "Anything for you." Too bad he only sees you as a friend.

<~~~~~~~~~~>

Thanks for reading!

Please vote and comment! 🙃

Byeeeeeeeeee! 👋