Don't Stop Me Now

Have you ever had that feeling when your, falling then you suddenly jolt awake? It only happened to me while I slept, until now. The realization that your okay, but that you need to slow down. The Intense combination of school and dance was starting to get to me. I was finding that I was more and more tired, constantly feeling shaky.

   It happened on a gloomy Tuesday, I was changing from my ballet flats to pointe shoes. I drank half of my water, fighting of the urge to finish it. As we watched Monsieur teach the choreography, I felt my ears ringing. Making it difficult to concentrate.

   "Katie?" I snap my head towards the direction of the sound. It was my Pas de dux partner, Mark. "Are you okay?" He asks,

   "Yes, why wouldn't it be?" I ask agitated, "because you didn't answer me the first two times."

   My head becomes spacey, everything slants and goes slightly grey. My knees buckle, and I feel Marks arms catch me. Then everything fades away.

•••

   "She can't keep going on like this! It to much on her!" An angry voice whispers, "I know Nicki, I know."

   When I open my eyes, I see my walls. My posters and pictures, I'm in my bedroom. I prop myself up on one elbow, the curtains open along with the window. Cool air pours in, I'm still in my dance clothes. My door was left ajar, that's where the voices were coming from.

I swing my legs over the side of my bed, my head still feeling light. "Mum? Dad?" I call out, the both appear.

"Katie your awake, you had us so worried." Mum gasps, she sits down next to me and hugs me.

"Mum I don't understand, what happened?" She sighs and looks at dad, who kneels down in front of me.

"You know how you've been feeling, tired lately?" I nod, "well it's because you've become fatigue, and today was the breaking point. You fainted, Katie and you were unconscious for four hours."

What...

   Mum and dad must see the confusion in my eyes. "We called your paediatrician, you'll take tomorrow off school to see her. But for the mean time, no dance-"

   "But Mum! I can't miss! Ballet exams are in a month, and the inferno competition! Mum I can't."

   "Katie, you constantly being busy is not good. And you being tried all the time, this your body telling you to slow down." I duck my head, a stare at my hands.

   Dad grabs my hands, and kisses the tips of my fingers. "Tell you what Kit, how about you and Mum go and spend the rest of the day together. And we will see about you going back to see Peter again soon. Sound good?"

   "Yeah sounds good." Dad gets up and leaves, mum traces patterns on my back, "What would you like to do Kit?"

   "I'd like to see Matilda, and maybe go for a pedicure?" I suggest, mum smiles and kisses my forehead.

About an hour later, my toes are being painted purple. Mum sits in the chair next to me, and the nice lady scrubs the calluses off of her feet. I requested that they leave my calluses alone. After mum and I pop by Quinn's shop, to pick up a pastry for Matilda.

Quinn's fiery red curls are pulled back in loosely. "Kit! Mrs. Holland! It's so good to see you!" She waves from behind the counter. We all chat, basic conversation stuff before she asks about Matilda.

"How's she doing?" Quinn questions, frothing milk.

   "She's dealing, she is a strong girl." Quinn looks up and says, "she is strong. Probably has a lot to do with where she came from. I've always wanted to visit Canada." 

   "Why's that?" I ask, fiddling with a sugar packet. Quinn shrugs and pours the frothed milk into a To-Go cup.

   "Just the way people make it sound. The mountains, and plains, seas and cities. It's just someplace different. Here you go." She says handing us two cups. And a small pastry bag. "A cinnamon bun for Matilda. Say hi to her for me."

   "Will do. See you later Quinn." Mom says as we leave the shop. We drive in relative silence on the way to see Matilda. I stifle a yawn, and my eyes being to water. Mum looks over at me, and asks if I want to go home.

"But I should really go and see Matilda, to make sure that she's okay."

"Kit, sometimes it's okay to put yourself first." I sometimes hate having to agree with my parents. I go home, and take a long shower. Using more hot water than I should. Mum and dad go out to dinner with Patty, leaving me at home with the rest of the boys. Toms still in town a little while longer.

With my hair still wet, I put on the warmest sweats I can find. I lay on the couch under my weighted blanket.

"Can I sit, Kit?" Tom asks, hands in his pockets. His brown hair every which direction. I scoot over and Tom lays down next to me. I lay my head on his chest, watching the show that plays on the telly. Tom plays with my still wet hair, his rhythmic breathing helps calm me.

"Are you feeling better Kit?" Tom asks, I sigh and nod. "That's good. I worry about you, you know." He says, pulling my hair out of my face. I tilt my head up to him, and he kisses my forehead.

"You don't need to worry about me." I protest, "yes I do. Kit I'm your big brother, it's my job. And when I find out that you've fainted, it worries me. Like a lot."

I turn my head into Toms chest, he puts his arm around me. We lay together is for a moment. "So I talked to Mum and dad, and I wanted to ask if you would consider spending your summer with me? I have to travel a little bit for work. But for the most part we would spend the time in LA."

"Tom, I would love to. But I have a request." Tom raises his eyebrow, "I want to go to Canada. Matilda tells me all these amazing stories about living there, and I want to see it for myself."

Tom smiles his eyes smile too. "I think that I can make that happen." I smile back at him and focus my attention back to the telly. Re runs of Friends play. That night I fall asleep next to my big brother, happy and feeing better.