Day 855 (End Of An Era)

For a week Tabitha and Uncle Peter had been secretly "dating". They were not merely happy - they were rapturous. Tabitha and Uncle Peter were intimate in more than just the carnal sense of the word. What free time he had, he spent with her. I knew it wouldn't take long for people to notice. I think Uncle Peter realized that as well and decided to tell his wife before she found out on her own.

I don't know exactly how Uncle Peter broke the news to Aunt Roxanne because I was not in the room at the time. But I know what she shouted back because I was down the hall...

"So you've been FUCKING her!?!?!?!"

"We don't always 'fuck'! Sometimes we shag or bang," deadpanned Uncle Peter, "But mostly we screw!"

Uncle Peter's attempt at humor backfired. Loud talking turned to yelling. Yelling turned to screeching. It ended with Roxanne telling Uncle Peter, in no uncertain terms, their relationship was over.

He strode out of her bedroom, passing twenty people who pretended to not have heard anything.

I strode outside and followed him.

Uncle Peter wound up on the bridge.

With a flick of his wrist, he sent his wedding ring sailing into the Kaskaskia River.

[Please remember to vote. Also I'd love to read your comments and suggestions.]