Day 3790 (Breech)

Candice went into labor with David's baby on October 19th of year twelve. Unfortunately, our community's winning streak of easy births ended that day. Her baby started to come out breech, buttocks first.

Aunt Roxanne (a nurse), Holly (a midwife), and Leslie (Aunt Roxanne's apprentice) conferred with Dr. Harman by CB radio. They decided a Caesarian section was necessary and inevitable. Although none had performed such a procedure, Leslie had been studying it in anticipation of such an event. She was confident her knowledge and the equipment on hand would be adequate.

Since I was the only universal blood donor known to exist on the farm, and Candice's blood type was unknown, I was drafted to provide two pints of blood. Despite having eaten some food and drinking apple juice, I nearly passed out and was ordered to lie down next to Candice.

I watched as the baby was born Caesarian, his body glistening with blood and amniotic fluid, his tiny fists beating the air, his shrill cry filling the room.

Suturing of the uterus after extraction proved more difficult than Leslie had anticipated. There was excessive hemorrhaging, and twice more, I was required to donate blood. Near the end, I felt like an empty sack.

Ultimately, the surgery was a success. Both Candice and her baby (Greg) survived.

Roxanne, Holly, and Dr. Harman were so impressed with Leslie's performance, they officially upgraded her from "apprentice" to "professional".

---------------------------------------------------

Sarah and her best friend, Jack, became lovers, got married, and eventually, they had a daughter, Lauren (named after Lauren Faust). The birth was unremarkable, except Lauren was born with four teeth. While examining the baby's pearly whites, Lauren bit Grandpa Kevin's finger hard enough to break skin! Sarah wisely decided to use a pump rather than to breastfeed directly.

A few months later, Donna and Grandpa Kevin had another baby. A healthy boy named Fry. (Again, named after a "Futurama" character.)

[Please remember to vote for this chapter.]  :D