NOAH ANDREWS

Two days; forty–eight hours.

That's how long I was able to keep my eyes off him. It wasn't exactly medal worthy.

My skin still burned from his touch, it felt as if his palm was still there, his rough skin cradling my soft cheek.

And his words still lingered in my ear, they never left my thoughts.

"I don't want you to get hurt."

I was so confused. What did he mean? Why would I get hurt? Why'd he care?

It was needless to say my brain was mush by the time I had gotten up for school the next day. I just didn't understand anything. I didn't understand how I'd get hurt from simply watching him.

And what did he mean by 'One day you'll see something you don't want to'?

I'd watched him for five years. I knew him better than anyone. I'd seen everything, and even if I did see something I didn't particularly like (like his constant need to smoke) it didn't mean I'd judge him for it.

To be truthfully honest, I'd gotten used to the smell of smoke whenever I'd be somewhat close to him, I could smell it. It was kind of comforting. As an insomniac, having a full night of sleep, even if I was being cradled by a six foot beast, was unheard of. I didn't even wake up in the middle of the night. I wasn't entirely sure if it was Toby himself, or the cigarette smell, but something seemed to ease my nerves enough that I was able to sleep peacefully.

"Noah!"

I turn around at the sound of my name, bumping right into Sammy, who I'd like to think was a friend at least, if not best friend.

Samuel King had been my companion for three years. We met at a science fair, weirdly enough. I hadn't known there to be another science nerd like myself to go to my school, but Sammy exceeded my expectations.

He was more interested in biology, unlike me who enjoyed astronomy more.

We bonded over science, obviously. I didn't particularly want to befriend Sammy at first, as I didn't really have friends to begin with, and was more of a introverted social outcast, if that was a thing. It was more of a 'there's nobody else who's interested in science but us two' kind of situation.

I didn't regret it though, not in the least.

Sammy puts his hands on my shoulders to steady himself, and looked up at me with a grin, blonde curls bouncing, and big green eyes staring up at me.

I grin back at him, my eyes going across the hall towards where Toby stood against his locker, his arms crossed, watching everyone pass with a angry glare on his face.

Sammy follows my gaze and shakes his head with a sigh.

"Still stalking Ghost, I see." he says, giving me a pointed look.

I roll my eyes at the 'Ghost' bit. I never called Toby by his nickname, it seemed too immature.

"Watching, Sam. I'm watching, observing." I explain, eyes drawn to Toby's right hand, watching it clench to form a fist, the same hand that cupped my cheek so gently the night before.

I see Sammy roll his eyes out the corner of my own.

"Biology is my thing, not yours." He says, smirking.

The bell rings then, and I walk away from Sammy, ignoring his calls.

And I wonder why I'm a friendless science geek...

. •. •.

As I exit through the doors, I see him.

He's standing against the brick wall, his eyes latch onto me as I made my way down the school steps.

People bustle around me, but it feels like it's only Toby and me standing there.

I don't understand him.

I don't want to believe that he's waiting for me, but if he is, then that just contradicts everything he told me about staying away from him.

I pretend I don't notice him and continue walking, until he calls out to me.

"Noah."

It was just one word, but it held some sort of commandment; some sort of commanding tone, so I stopped, but I didn't turn around.

I must have looked like an idiot, just standing there as people stampeded around me.

I could feel his presence behind me, and I watched in confusion as he walked right past me, and headed towards the other side of the building.

I swallowed, not knowing what to do. Do I follow him? He did call my name, so I know that he wants something.

I didn't know what else to do, so I followed him.

We walked towards the football field, and nerves surrounded me as he ducked under the bleachers.

I did not want to go under there.

But before I could turn back around and run for it, he calls my name again.

"Noah.."

I gulp, because his tone was scaring me. Everything about this situation was scaring me.

But for some reason, despite my entire being telling me not to, I follow him.