NOAH ANDREWS

My parents glance at the way Toby's hand encased my own, but they say nothing.

The atmosphere was tense, as we all sat at the small dining room table that led into the kitchen. My mom clears her throat, breaking the silence that had surrounded all of us.

"We have some things we'd like to discuss with you, Tobias."

Toby nods, looking over at me, and squeezing my hand in his. I think I'm more nervous than he is. My palms are sweating, and my legs are shaking. Toby smirks at me, and that calms my heart a little.

"We feel that your current living situation is not safe. We'd like to offer you a place to stay for a while, if that's okay?" Mrs. Andrews said, kindly.

Toby's jaw had hardened, and those dark eyes were back, storms still silently brewing.

"I'm not leaving my mother with him," Toby spat with disgust, and determination.

"She's invited to stay as well," my father said, voice gruff. I felt a tingle of excitement run through me at the thought of Toby being next to me everyday. Was it wrong to be excited about someone moving in with you if the reason they were moving in was horrible?

Toby nodded, "But only for a little while." I looked up at him with a frown, guess that dream about seeing him everyday was thrown out the window. Did he not want to stay with me? Was I being too selfish? Was it okay to be selfish in a situation like this? So many thoughts ran through my head in that moment, and the only thing that distracted me from those thoughts was the way Toby smirked dangerously at me, and sent me a discreet wink.

"We'd also like to ask, seeing as you're turning eighteen and have the choice, if you'd like to testify against Christopher in court?"

Tobias's hand squeezed my own impossibly tight, but I didn't complain. Toby's eyes met mine, and I nodded, telling him I'd support any answer he chose.

Toby breathes in, "No."

My dad stepped in, his eyes intense, "Son... he hurt you, okay? He's abusive and he deserves to be locked up for it."

Tobias shook his head, his stare holding my father's, "Then I wouldn't be any better than him. Locking him up won't take away the pain he put us through, nothing ever will. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, he does. He put me— my mother through hell. We'll never forget that. We'll never forgive him for that. He will be punished, but not by me. That's between him and his God."

I look up at Toby in a new light. I never took him as a religious person, but I'm not surprised, really. There's always going to be things I don't know about Tobias. He's just a living mystery.

My parents look up at me, as if urging me too change his mind. But I looked over at Tobias, and I smile big at him.

"I support you," I tell him, and then I lean over to peck his cheek, not caring who saw.

My parents look at each other, before they turn back to us. I'm scared because I can't read their expressions. Toby smoothes his thumb over my knuckles, and I try hard to regulate my breathing.

"You two are together," my mom states, looking at Toby and I. I bite my lip, my body trembling. I hate confrontation, in any form, especially when it's targeted at me.

Toby answers for the both of us, "We are, mam. And we're happy together."

My father nods, looking over at Toby, and shakes his head, sighing, "I won't judge you. There is no reason to. All I've ever wanted you to be, Noah, was happy. And I admit, this is different, I'm not used to it. But if he makes you happy, if being with him makes you happy, I'll support you."

My mother smiled at me, "We love you. Who you love doesn't affect what we think of you. You're always going to be our son."

I let out a huge breath, and I didn't want to cry, but I could feel them coming. I never thought I'd be into guys before. I didn't think about things like that. I thought about stars, and planets, and what project I'd do for next year's science fair. I thought about Tobias, too.

But I didn't automatically think I was gay, or that I had a crush on him. He was just someone who had been a part of my life in the beginning, and when he left, I guess I wanted him back.

The times I spent with Tobias were... they can't be described with just words, but there was always that fear of rejection at the back of my mind. Of how people would see me? If their judgement would be solely based off my sexual orientation? But now that I knew my parents accepted me, I didn't care what anyone else thought about me. If I had support and love from the people who were closest to me, why did other people's opinions matter?

The truth is, they don't. And I'm glad I realize that now.

author's note; the story is coming to an end. there's only a few more chapters left. and y'all got to see another side of tobias. yes, he is christian. that's how he was raised, and he believes being something other than straight doesn't mean he can't be religious, which is so cute. :)