Heather

The last of our suitcases was taken out of our taxi and Carter carried it into the airport, following close behind Andrew and I. Our next stop is NSL headquarters to deliver what we've found so far. Well...not everything we've found. Information is on a need to know basis nowadays.

The three of us checked our bags and then we started to make our way to the gate. Andrew bribed a few employees earlier to...overlook all of the tech and bullets that they may or may not come across. I was busy typing away on my tablet, scanning through my little mini server I often carry around with me. The only time I'm not logged in as the Shadow Broker is if I'm on a heist or undercover, otherwise it's non stop working. I didn't become the best information trader by taking weekends off.

"The notes from last night didn't make any sense. I spent hours trying to draw connections between the Tokyo archives and these ones," Carter said quietly as we walked through the airport.

"We just don't have all of the pieces yet. Did you find where the next piece?" Andrew replied and I kept scrolling away on my tablet. Nothing particularly interesting was in the database today, just usual blackmail deals or scandals. I did manage to close a few deals while we waited in the airport. Some woman was paying a decent amount for information on her missing husband, another person needed access to private medical records for undisclosed reasons, and I helped an elderly woman get blackmail on her cheating husband. A pretty typical day if I'm honest. I close at least 30 deals daily and can make well over half a million dollars. Information is expensive, especially when you're getting it from the dark web. Of course I get paid in more than just dollar bills, sometimes priceless information is traded as currency. It makes things like looking for a mysterious Quantum Battery easier.

"Somewhere in the middle of Nevada. I'm assuming in the city of Vegas," Carter said as he pulled a map from his pocket, "I haven't gotten the chance to look up it's exact location just yet. We'll know more when we start browsing museum databases for an 'unknown relic'."

Our flight gate was open by the time we had made it across the airport and through security. Andrew managed to force me off my database as we boarded the plane and settled into our first class cabin. Of course we were going to travel in the fanciest way we could. As long as we have a dollar on us we're covered, we've got Andrew after all.

"Going to talk to us now?" Carter chuckled, smirking a little as I packed my tablet into my backpack.

"I have an empire to run thank you very much," I teased back with a sensual little wink. I could see Andrew cringe out of the corner of my eye. He's never really approved of my casual flirting with Carter.

Let's make one thing crystal clear. I love Carter. He's a wonderful guy and an excellent thief. But having a man would only slow me down, so I keep him at a distance. He's like that one really hot cousin that you flirt with because it's funny even though you wouldn't do anything with him. That was also the weirdest analogy ever. My point is, I will never be with Carter. Not in that way.

Maybe after I've decided I'm too old for a life of crime. Maybe then I'll let Carter into my heart. Until then I'm going enjoy being young and free.

"What's our plan of attack with the NSL?" Andrew asked after a slightly uncomfortable silence.

"The Shadow Broker sent them an encrypted message about a business offer, to which they immediately accepted," I answered, "we are Shadow Broker agents being sent to make sure the transfer goes well."

"And what if they arrest us?" Andrew said with a slightly snappy tone to his voice.

"They're hiring us to secure the remaining pieces. The Shadow Broker made it clear that it is in their best interests to have the world remain whole and not destroyed," I chuckled, grabbing a chocolate bar from Carter's bag and taking a small bite, "if they try to cross us, the Shadow Broker is selling some very sensitive information to some very bad people."

"And what information is that?"

"Military access codes. Nothing serious."

It's the perfect leverage. Is it not?

"Solid plan," Carter said, stealing his chocolate bar back from me.

"Thanks," I laughed, "see Andrew? Someone supports me. This plan will go off without a hitch."

The rest of the plane ride sucked. Andrew fell asleep before the plane even took off and Carter and I spent the entire trip playing board games and watching movies together. It was nice bonding time, but we already have had plenty of bonding time on trips like these. Maybe it's time to add a fourth member to our crew and spice things up a little. After we settle this Black Ice business, I'll talk to Andrew and Carter about that. Imagine if we built and entire league of thieves, all with weird powers like ours. Don't give that idea to the super villains, a band of thieves and a corrupt government is already enough trouble. Organized villains would be pure chaos.

I must've fallen asleep at some point because I woke up in the back of a taxi with Andrew and Carter on either side of me. It wouldn't be the first time Carter's carried me out of the airport unconscious. The "fainting girl" act has saved us a million times from surprise security inspections. When or why I passed out is beyond me, but at least we're on the way to the NSL base now.

"I hope they're ready for us," Carter mumbled under his breath.

"I hope Heather's plan actually works," Andrew whispered back.

Of course it will work. I'm a genius aren't I?

And besides, I've got a backup. Run away.