Heather

That was certainly among the closer getaways I've ever made. It doesn't beat the time I had to lie under a dead dog to avoid being found by a group of mercs Andrew and I had robbed, but it was close. Maybe if I'd gotten shot or something. Although that would make my life a little more difficult.

"We made it! Ha!" I laughed, falling down onto the grass field we'd ended up in. I have no idea where in Seattle we are, and I don't really give a shit. We're back in this race. And I intend on winning.

"California isn't that far from Washington, we've gotta move fast," Andrew chuckled as he offered me a hand. I smiled and grabbed it, standing again and looking at Carter with a huge toothy grin.

"It's at the Museum of Pop Culture. If we hurry we can grab the battery piece and be on a plane to Quebec before the sun even starts to rise!" I said excitedly before running off towards what looked like the outskirts of the city.

"I really wish they'd given us a car or something," Andrew grumbled. Both he and Carter followed close behind. We ran for what felt like years, I really started to question why Glow Woman couldn't just drop us at the top of the Space Needle or something. It wouldn't be that hard to climb down would it? Maybe take a leap of faith into some water or something? The sound of Andrew's panting was only slightly getting on my nerves as we started to near the city. I know he's an older man but it's not like he's fifty and running two miles into a city.

We blended in perfectly with the civilians around us. If any superheroes in the area were already on the hunt for us they'll definitely have a hard time spotting us. Sure we're three civilians dressed in black carrying backpacks, but black is a very common color. And backpacks are a very common accessory. Hopefully it takes them at least a day to get wanted posters up. If things go according to whatever fragments of a plan we have, we'll be out of the city by the end of the day.

"Why is it at the Museum of Pop Culture again?" Carter asked quietly as we slowly made our way across the city.

"Some superhero that also was a pop star brought it in saying it was a piece of their mic stand that had broken," I answered quickly, "the building's right up there and it's likely closed by now. Let's just go in through a maintenance door and grab what we need."

"I'll get us a car," Andrew mumbled, slipping his comm link into his ear. He headed off down an alley way as Carter and I wandered our way along the side of the building. I didn't have the time or patience for masks, we put in our comm links and I unlocked the door.

Nobody was in the maintenance room, but I could hear people laughing and talking on the other side of the door.

"Attention everyone, the museum closes in forty-five minutes. Thank you," a male voice said over an intercom.

"Great, let's get that artifact," I whispered to Carter, opening the maintenance door and walking out into a hallway. The two of us walked out into the museum, slipping into a crowd of tourists and moving with them from exhibit to exhibit.

"We can't risk grabbing it with people around," Carter whispered over the radio.

"We have to. I don't want to wait for Black Ice or the NSL to show up," I replied, "Andrew, get a car behind the building and plane tickets for Quebec. We leave tonight."

"Passports are missing," Andrew said back.

"That's why bribes exist. Get us on a plane and meet behind the building in thirty minutes."

Carter and I broke off from the group of tourists. I got a glimpse of a map with a big red dot in the center of what must have been the lobby. Usually I like to do more research before assuming where the target is, like what kind of security systems there may be and what might be around it, but time is not on our side. And sure enough, there it was. Sitting beautifully in a glass case right in the center of the museum. The fifth piece of our Quantum Battery.

"I'm just going to take it and run. Andrew, are you out back?" I said into my comm link.

"Plane leaves in half an hour. Get your asses out here," He grumbled back. Typical Andrew, always afraid something will go wrong. He has every right to be afraid this time, we're about to steal this with little to no planning and attempt to make a clean escape. In a crowd full of people no less.

"Securing the prize now," I said. I opened my backpack, entered the code to unlock the case, threw the piece in, and took off running with Carter. Security guards were shouting at us to "stop" and "put that back" as civilians screamed bloody murder. People were acting as if I had just shot a man and ripped his heart out. What the hell is wrong with people? Have they never seen a robbery before?"

The two of us left the same way we got in, tossing a chloroform bomb behind us as we jumped into the car with Andrew.

"A clean steal?" he asked as I took the artifact out of my bag to inspect it.

"I literally unlocked the cage and made a run for it. I'd call that clean," I laughed.

"Plane leaves in twenty minutes. Let's just hope there aren't going to be any superheroes on board."