Chapter Nineteen: Back Together

"Where is Lizzie?" Ben demanded. I stood behind the glass with Aaron, Dr. Reid, Jackson, and my Dad, watching as Morgan and David interrogated him. 

"She isn't any of your concern at the moment." Morgan said.

"What you should be concerned about, is the fact that two little girls were taken from their school this afternoon, and their teacher says that their Dad came and picked them up."

"I didn't pick them up!" He shouted. "Why would I kidnap my own kids?!"

"Elizabeth wouldn't let you see them." David pointed out.

"I can imagine that you were pretty mad, being denied your right to see your children. You've been working hard, trying to get your life in order, you're ready to be a Dad now, but come to find your wife has moved on and wants nothing to do with you. She has a new man now, doing the job that you should be doing."

"This is news to me." Dad said, glancing between Aaron and I. I shook my head.

"Aaron told Ben that he was my boyfriend so that he would leave." I explained. He looked at Aaron now.

"Smart move, son."Aaron nodded. "I appreciate you looking out for my daughter."

"Well, she's been looking after my son, so its the least I could do." He said diplomatically. 

"Ask Lizzie," Ben said, causing me to turn my attention back to him, "Is she watching?" He looked at the window, and I almost jumped as he made direct eye contact with me...as if he knew that's exactly where I was. "Lizzie, you know me-"

"Hey, don't talk to her." Morgan warned.

"She'll know if I'm lying!" He exclaimed, desperately. "I know its been a long time since I left, but...you always knew when I was lying. So, please, believe me when I say I didn't touch Charlotte and Sadie. I don't even know what they look like now, I swear." I searched his eyes through the window and Aaron's tall presence appeared right beside me.

"So?" He asked quietly. I nodded as the tears began to form in my eyes.

"Ben is a lot of things...but he's not a liar." I said quietly. "But if it wasn't him, then that means..."

"Oh my gosh." Jackson said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"If this is a stranger abduction than the first twenty-four hours are crucial, and we just wasted our time." Dad said, more to Aaron than to anyone else. 

"I'm not so sure that it is," Dr. Reid spoke up, "Whoever took the girls knew enough about their situation to say that he was their dad. He knew that Adler would be the first person we'd go to, giving him enough time to get away. The timing between his visit and the kidnapping could be a coincidence."

"That's a big coincidence." Dad said. "Is it possible that the unsub knew about the visit?"

"No one should have known about that except the family." Jackson said. Family...Family. I rushed out of the room, opening the door to the interrogation room.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa-" Morgan started.

"Elizabeth, you need to leave-"

"You don't live in Virginia anymore." I pointed out, ignoring them and talking directly to Ben. "When did you come back?"

"Six months ago." He answered.

"So, you decided to get your life together and came back here six months ago?" I clarified. He nodded. "Where do you live?"

"I've been staying with Sam. My brother." I turned back to the window. 

"Only family knows." I said. "If he's living with Sam, Sam must know about the visit." I turned to the door just as Aaron and the others appeared in it.