Chapter Twenty: Go Get The Girl

"I'm sorry, what?"

I was sitting in the teacher's lounge at school with the third, fourth, and fifth grade teachers, staring at the flyer that had just been shoved into my hand. It was a flyer for a triathlon for MS, and Jodie, the third grade teacher, had just suggested that we all do it.

"It could be fun!" She said. "Plus, you know, Karen was just diagnosed with MS. I think this could be a very cool way to show her that her co-workers are sticking by her."

"I mean, its a great thought Jodie but...aside from Elizabeth, we're all fast approaching retirement age. Are you sure we can do this?" Miranda Haverstock, the 4th Grade teacher asked.

"Well, its not about winning, its about the experience." She said.

"I don't even know how to ride a bike." I pointed out.

"We'll teach you." Jodie said. "What do you say ladies? After school we can start training, get our husbands to watch the kids. Elizabeth, I know you have been looking for an opportunity for Ben to test him out being alone with the girls." I sighed. I couldn't refute that.

"I...I suppose for experience' sake....and its for a good cause...and to support our co-worker...ok, yeah. I'm in." I said. She smiled.

"Great! Miranda, Diane, what do you say?" Jodie asked, smiling hopefully. They both sighed in unison.

"I suppose we could swing that."

"Yes! This is going to be great, and I think Karen will really appreciate the gesture."

~~~

"You? Running? On purpose?" Ben laughed. We were doing the dishes from dinner. We'd arranged that we go back and forth between dinner at each house on Wednesdays.

"Ha ha. Funny." I said dryly, passing him a plate to dry.

"I mean, good for you guys, supporting your friend and all that. Its just, are you sure you can handle a triathlon?"

"We're going to train for it. I was on the swim team back in High School, so I should be fine there, and then we're going to work on the running...and teach me how to ride a bike." His eyes widened.

"You don't know how to ride a bike?" I rolled my eyes.

"Your opinion was not requested or wanted." I said. He smirked. Things were good. Whatever romantic chemistry we'd had in the past was gone, but we were friends, and I was beginning to quite enjoy that friendship. I had even briefly considered setting him up with Emily Prentiss.

"Sorry, my bad." He said, laughing.

"We're training in the park tomorrow after school, so I was hoping you could take the kids." He stopped laughing, looking at me.

"Seriously?" He asked. I nodded.

"I think they feel ok with being alone with you, and you've earned my trust with them. I think its time." He smiled.

"Thank you. I...I can't thank you enough for giving me another chance with the girls." I shrugged.

"Well, I'm amazing."

"Don't I know it."

~~~

I was the first one to the park the next morning, so I decided to stretch until they got there. I was stretching my arms when I saw a familiar head of black hair run at a surprisingly fast rate by me. It wasn't hard for me to figure out that it was Aaron, who I hadn't talked to since he found the girls, which was almost a month ago. I had to admit, I missed him.