Mirror

I don't own Harry Potter or any of the characters, they belong to JK Rowling

Three days. It's been three days since he lost his younger brother. It's so quiet. There's no explosions, no shouts of laughter, no screams of success, no teasing, no Quidditch, no nothing. It was cold, like the room was packed with ghosts. It was painful, like there were hot knives sticking in their chests, and it hurt. Losing Fred hurt so much. He was such a happy person. Cheerfulness seemed to radiate off him. He knew where the line was (although he occasionally stepped a toe over it), he knew how to make sure nobody got hurt, he knew when to be serious and he knew when he could poke fun. He was the perfect person for a war. Hell, he was just a perfect person. Everyone who knew Fred had been affected by his death in some way, but not as much as George. He wouldn't talk, he refused to. Instead, he wrote things on a piece of parchment. Everyone was used to George being loud but, then again, everyone was also used to there being two of George.

When Charlie entered the battle, admittedly late but he lived in Romania, so he couldn't exactly apparate there, it was to find George charging right at him, screaming Avada Kedavra over and over again, jets of green light soaring past Charlie at a particular Death Eater that Charlie recognised instantly, only just missing. Charlie noticed that George had a look of sheer fury, pain and hatred on his face, and grabbed his brother around the waist, stopping his sprint. With George being a little taller than him, this wasn't easy. "Charlie, what the hell are you doing?" George screamed at him, still trying to get at the Death Eater. "George, I'm sorry, but I don't care if this is a war! I'm not going to let you use Unforgivable Curses." George turned to face Charlie, anger etched all over it. "Let me? Let me? Charlie, that's Augustus Rookwood!" Charlie kept a strong hold of George. "I know." Was what he said to him. George looked slightly stunned. "Charlie, he's the guy that killed him, for gods sake!" Charlie was utterly confused. Apparently, this showed on his face, because George yelled at him once more, except this time his voice was full of raw pain. "He's the guy that killed Fred!" Charlie let go of George in shock and backed off. "W-what?" He stammered. George gasped slightly. "You don't know." Charlie felt tears burning his eyes. "I just got here. What happened?" George let out a small sob as tears streamed down his young face. "I don't know the details, but... but there was an explosion... It shook the whole castle. Ron, Percy, Harry, Hermione and Fred... they got caught in it. Fred was the only one killed." Charlie pulled George into a hug. "Shhh, shhh it's ok. Now let's go. We have a Death Eater to kill."

Charlie mentally shook himself, bringing his mind back to the present. They had successfully cornered Rookwood, and George had killed him, he reminded himself, as tears threatened to scorch his eyes. George had been distraught after Fred's death. It had taken over two hours to get him to leave his twin's side, so he could be transported to await burial. George had screamed, cried and clung onto Fred. It took Bill, Charlie, Dad and Lee Jordan to eventually talk (and slightly force) him into letting go of Fred's body. None of them had ever seen George like it, so broken and protective. It hurt them all to have to make him move, it was obvious how it made him feel.

On the train ride home, the grieving families had had a carriage to themselves. The Weasleys, being the largest family there, had the biggest compartment, and they all fit in comfortably, with a little room to spare. Nobody spoke the whole ride. Mum stared out of the window, tears flowing down her face, an occasional quiet sob escaping her. Dad consoled her by slowly rubbing his hand up and down her back, tears slowly creeping down his own face, but didn't say anything. Ron sat in silence, staring at the floor, not shedding a single tear. Bill held onto Fleur, but Charlie couldn't see his face, as he had buried it in the bridge between Fleur's neck and shoulder for the entire ride. Although, Charlie had a hunch that his older brother was also crying, as his shoulders shook slightly, and Fleur was rubbing his arm, whispering calmly in his ear. Percy cried silently, and eventually fell asleep. George was the only one who made a sound. He cried uncharacteristically openly, loud sobs wracking his body. He shook violently, his back heaving with every breath. Charlie sat and observed his family, watching them cry and think as he, too, fought the lump in his throat. He occasionally laid a hand on George's back, and his younger brother flinched every time he did. Charlie never removed it, though, and eventually George would relax into it, accepting the comfort. When they got off the train, they got into three separate Ministry cars and headed for the Burrow. Bill, Fleur, Percy and Ron were in one car, Mum, Ginny and Dad in another, with Charlie and George in the third. It took a lot to get George to even exit the train, let alone get him securely into the car. Charlie had to support nearly all of George's weight, making it extremely difficult to walk in a straight line. George wrapped his arms round Charlie, burying his face into the crook of his older brother's neck and sobbed harder than ever. As soon as she saw George's condition, the Ministry driver hurried over to help Charlie, as Charlie had declined all of his family's offers. Once in their respective car, the driver gave Charlie a sympathetic look. "Did he lose someone close to him?" She asked. Charlie glanced at George before replying. "Yeah. His identical twin brother. My younger brother." He said, his voice shaking slightly. Unfortunately, George heard him. If possible, he cried even harder. This wasn't healthy, crying this much. He's going to make himself sick. George fell asleep some time during the ride home, and Charlie cast a weightless charm on him before carrying him to his and Fred's room, not looking at the extra bed. Charlie conjured up a camp bed and settled in for the night, but not before casting a dreamless charm on George.