Nightmare OWL

*usual disclaimer* my one shots suck and contain too much angst, but I enjoy writing them, so here's another I thought of at 4am XD

"Tony Viktra, Fred Weasley, George Weasley and Fiona Welby! If you could follow me, please." McGonagall called, leading said students into the exam hall. "Viktra, you will be with Mr Donnelly, Fred Weasley with Mr Heather, George Weasley with Mr Trippet, and Miss Welby with Mrs Wraight." McGonagall said, gesturing from right to left the four examiners sat in a row in the middle of the Great Hall. At the opposite end of the room, George saw a big pile of cushions, and a large board that read:

     N.E.W.T Level Examination:
   Defence Against The Dark Arts
                Practical Skills

When George next looked around, McGonagall was gone. He caught Fred's eye, and grinned. Fred, who was stood about ten metres away from him, grinned back. As one, the four examiners asked for the students' names.
"Fred Weasley."
"George Weasley."
"Fiona Welby."
"Tony Viktra."
Came the four synchronised replies. Fred and George smirked at each other again before looking back at their examiners. They were determined to pass DADA, for Harry's sake. He'd done so much to help them all while Umbridge refused to let them practise. If they didn't pass this, what would've been the point of Harry teaching them anything?

"Right, Mr Weasley. We'll start with a few simple ones, I think. I'd like to you perform a stunning charm on me, then revive me. I'll be scoring you based on the accuracy of the spell, strength of the charm, and the amount of tries it takes to revive me." George was confused as to how the examiner will know how many times he attempted to revive him whilst unconscious, but merely shrugged and raised his wand as the middle aged examiner stood up and summoned some cushions. "Stupefy!" The spell his the man square in the chest, and made him collapse onto the cushions. Looking over at his twin, George smirked as Fred disarmed his examiner. George walked over to his own, and pointed his wand at his heart. "Renervate." The examiner's eyes opened slowly. He stood a little shakily, and George had to resist the urge to help him. "That was... outstanding, Mr Weasley. Well done. Now, I'd like you to..."

After a few more simple spells, the examiner turned a page in his marking booklet. "Now, let's move on to the big boys. Mr Weasley, I'd like you to perform the Killing Curse." George started.
"The- what?" He said, sure he'd either gone crazy or misheard his examiner. "The Killing Curse please, Mr Weasley. Take your time, there's no rush." George took a couple of steps back in shock. How is this Defence Against the Dark Arts? This is the Dark Arts! He thought to himself. "I'm sorry, Professor. Could you repeat what you just said? I'm sure you said the Killing Curse." He said after clearing his throat. "I did, Mr Weasley." Said the examiner, as though he was merely asking George to levitate a feather. "You- you want me to p-perform the K- Killing Curse?" He stammered, feeling his face go pale. "Yes, Mr Weasley, I believe you are an expert." George's heart sank. "But that's illegal. Wait- what did you just say?" He said, slightly annoyed. "You've used the curse before, Mr Weasley. You're an expert." George felt anger rise inside him. "This is DEFENCE Against the Dark Arts!" He shouted. To his annoyance, the examiner continued to smile pleasantly at him. "Indeed. But, as I am aware, you have already used this curse on your brother. I'm merely trying to gain you more marks." George glanced over at Fred. "That's absurd." He said. "But, Mr Weasley, you did." The examiner replied, gesturing towards Fred. When George next looked at his twin, his appearance had changed. Fred was deathly pale, black shadows prominent underneath his eyes. His clothes had changed to a green jacket, pale cream shirt, jeans and trainers. All the other students in the room were gone, so we're the examiners. It was just Fred and George. Alone, in a room that was suddenly ice cold.

"You killed me." Fred said, his voice hollow and faded. "Fred-!" George choked. "You killed me, George." Fred said, locking eyes with his twin. George's jaw dropped in horror at the sight of his deathly brother and what he was accusing him of. "Fred I- I didn't kill you." He said, choking on almost every word. "Yes. Yes you did, George. It's your fault I'm gone. Your fault I'm dead." George tried to step away from his brother, but found he couldn't move, his feet were rooted firmly to the spot. "I- Fred! I'm not the one who killed you, man!" He said, nearly frantically. "You are, George. Just remember. Take yourself back to that night and remember." And George did...

It was the Battle of Hogwarts. The final stand. George was rushing around the castle, trying to find his family. Up ahead, he saw five familiar faces fighting three Death Eaters. Three of them, he realised, were his brothers. Percy, Ron and... Fred. Breathing a sigh of relief, George ran over to join them and help when Percy said something that stopped him in his tracks. "... did I mention I'm resigning?" He said, his voice somehow carrying over the noise. George was still out of their sight and was about to call over to them, now that there was only one Death Eater left. That's when he saw him. Augustus Rookwood, raising his wand in Harry's direction. George didn't think, he just raised his wand and pointed it at the Death Eater who was all but five metres away. His brothers had yet to see him when he heard Fred speak as he finished off the last Death Eater. "You're actually joking Perce!"
"Avada Kedavra!" The spell missed as Rookwood dived out of the way just in time. Instead, it collided with the spell the Death Eater had just cast. It was a powerful curse George didn't even recognise. He didn't have much time to dwell on it, however, when he was flying through the air as everything around him exploded. His head connected with the wall, and everything went black.

"Do you remember now, Georgie? Do you remember how you killed me?" George shook his head.
"I don't understand what caused the explosion." He whispered, feeling tears cascading down his face. "It was your spell colliding with his. If you hadn't cast that Killing Curse, I'd be alive. Harry would also still be alive, just with a few scars from the boiling hex Rookwood cast. It was designed to immobilise Harry so he could be brought to Voldemort, not kill him. So, instead, I died. Because you cast a Killing Curse. Well done, George. You killed me." George was horrified. He hadn't known that Fred died in an explosion. He didn't want to know how his twin was murdered, after all. "You killed me, George." Fred said, his nose suddenly three inches away from George's own. "You hear that? YOU KILLED ME!"
George woke with a start. To his relief, the first thing he heard was Fred moving on the four-poster bed beside him. "You alright?" He asked. "Yeah. Just had a nightmare about the war, is all." He said. Fred nodded. "Try and get some more sleep. We've still got a few hours before breakfast." George nodded and laid back down on his own four-poster, promising to himself that he won't kill Augustus Rookwood.

It's new, I know. I haven't updated this in ages, I know. I'm terrible at one shots, I know. I want reviews, I know. Cheers, Isaac XD