Chapter 1: Invoking Clauses

I’m having an awesome night, and it hasn’t even started. Not really anyway. Tomorrow starts the beginning of the end…of an era. Yep, that’s right, I am turning 29. Tonight my boyfriend, Travis, and I are going to dinner, and he keeps hinting that something special will happen, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he’s going to propose. We’ve been together for about two years, and I don’t think I’ve ever been happier with a man.

Travis brought over one of my favorite drinks to start our prefunk. Drinking it took me back to when we first met. I was at the beach, enjoying a nice cocktail while lying in the sun. When out of nowhere a volleyball came flying towards me, knocking the drink out of my hand and all over my body. I’m not gonna lie, I may have squealed a little bit. No one can blame me though, that drink was cold. While I was trying to clean myself up, a shadow covered me. I looked up into the deepest green eyes I’ve ever seen. The rest of him wasn’t so hard on the eyes either.

He was about 6’2 with blond hair, and boy was he built. I could probably do some laundry on those abs! Looking up at him, I saw the guiltiest look on his face. “I’m so sorry, my serve kind of went wild I guess. Can I buy you a replacement drink? A different bathing suit? How can I fix this?” He was babbling a little, was he….nervous?

“Please, just stop. I think I’m going to leave, that way you can get back to the fun over there, bye” I said to him as I started to gather my things.

“Don’t go, please. Let me make it up to you. How about dinner tonight? At Rocco’s, I’m buying as a repayment.” Dang, what a persistent little bugger.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea. We don’t even know each other, and didn’t your mom ever teach you not to talk to strangers.”

“Yes she did,” He said slowly. Then he held his hand out to me, “My name is Travis, what’s yours?”

I debated not telling him. Someone who will waste a perfectly good Scooby snack really isn’t someone to trust…I didn’t even get to eat the cherry. In the end I decided to give him a break. “I’m Rini.”

His face lit up as I shook his hand, he kind of looked like a little kid on Christmas. “Ok, now we aren’t strangers. How about now?” I laughed a little as I agreed to dinner. I met him at the restaurant that night, and we hit it off. The rest is history I guess.

“Ready to enjoy your special night?” Travis asked me while he wrapped his arms around me from behind, snapping me out of my daydreams.

I turned to look at him and smiled. “Always, who doesn’t love celebrating a day that’s all about them? Oh, did you find someone to watch The Kid?” When we first started dating, he kept saying, “The Kid likes playing at the park” or “The Kid loves walks on the beach” I thought he was talking about his kid, turns out he actually has a dog named The Kid.

He started grinning as he answered, “Yeah, my mom is going to come over tonight and tomorrow morning to check on him. Oh, she said to tell you happy birthday by the way.”

I finished my drink and went to do the final check on my appearance. I’m always a little paranoid that I’ll have a wardrobe malfunction or something, so I always double check before leaving. Looking in the floor-length mirror, I saw my reflection and took a minute to appreciate what my momma gave me. I wouldn’t say that I’m conceited, but I know I look damn good tonight. I was wearing a little red dress that I found in my closet with some gold heels, (which I hate, but it makes the difference in height with Travis a little more bearable). My hair hung half way down my back in soft waves, it was a different color, depending on the light it was a strawberry blonde, or a copper color…it always made me think of fall colors. Getting to my eyes, I noticed the eyeliner on one eye was smudged a little. Leaning forward, I fixed it and wondered about my eye color. Sometimes they are the lightest blue they look almost white (weird, I know). Sometimes, if I’m feeling sad, they turn gray. But tonight, they were this blue-green color, almost teal. Not sure where they came from, everyone in my family has brown eyes…but they are my favorite thing about me.

As I stared at my eyes in the mirror, I heard the familiar sound of the Imperial March, the assigned ringtone for my best friend Jamie. I giggled a little as I went to my phone to answer it, not reaching it until the ringing ended. One missed call from Jamie. I went to make the call and got the notification of an email coming in, (in keeping with our nerdy theme email notifications are the sound of a lightsaber, and texts are the chatter of R2-D2).

“Rini, let’s go! I’m hungry and it’s getting late.” Travis yelled at me from the living room.

It’s probably just Jamie wishing me happy birthday, I thought, I’ll read it when I get in the car.

To: skywalkerfangirl1@gmail.com

From: darthvadersmydad@hotmail.com

Subject: It’s about that time…

Hey Rini-Nitti,

  I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. Shit, I can’t believe we’re so old!!! That’s why I’m invoking the “Emergency Backup” clause of our friendship agreement. I’m coming back, actually, I’ll be there tonight to discuss the next moves we will take. It’s been too long, I can’t even tell you how much I’ve missed you! All of this changes as of now. I’ll never stay away from you for so long again.

Lots of love,

Jamie

Is this for real? Jamie’s coming back? Jamie’s been my best friend for as long as I can remember. All of my memories from when we were younger are of the two of us getting into some type of trouble or another. As dumb as it sounds, I can’t keep the grin off of my face, it’s been almost four years since we saw each other last. Didn’t give me fair warning, guess I’ll be able to invoke my own clause, I thought while I chuckled under my breath. Let’s see what you make of this Jamie.

To: darthvadersmydad@hotmail.com

From: skywalkerfangirl1@gmail.com

Subject: Not so fast!!

Hold up a second Jamie, while invoking your clause, did you forget the “Fair Warning Clause,” created in 2009 for this very reason? As per the rules YOU decided on, you must give me 72 hour warning before whirling into my life like the cyclone you are. As much as it pains me, and it truly does love, you aren’t allowed within 5 miles of me for the next 3 days, I guess we’ll both have to suffer lol.

Suffering in silence,

Rini

PS I’m having my birthday dinner with Travis at Rocco’s tonight anyway, I’ll call you later though.

Travis looked over at me, probably wondering why I’m laughing like a maniac. “Anything you want to share with the rest of the class?”

“Not much, Jamie is back in town…wanted to meet up for my birthday. We’ll meet up another time though.” I answered, sighing because I have to wait a little longer to see one of the most important people in my life. “I ju-“ I was interrupted by R2-D2 chattering at me.

One new text message from Jamie:

I’ll see you soon, hope you’re not too mad ;)

Why would I be mad? I wonder, a little confused. Looking up, I see we were just pulling into Rocco’s parking lot. I resolved to focus on my night with Travis, I can always take care of Jamie tomorrow.