Chapter 4: Mr. Fix-It

RINI’S POV:

Kill me now. I felt like I was caught in a stampede during the running of the bulls. I kept hearing a rhythmic pounding, but I couldn’t tell if it was my head pounding, or maybe someone playing drums in my bedroom. I opened my eyes to make sure, only to snap them closed right away.

“Ah, you’re alive. Happy birthday Rini-Nitti.” Someone screamed in my ear. Ok, I might be exaggerating a little bit, but it sure sounded like someone was screaming. “I have some headache medicine and water for you when you’re ready.”

“Stop yelling. And get the flashlight out of my face, I’d like to get up sometime this century James.” I groaned as I rolled over.

“I’m practically whispering in a room with all the lights off and curtains drawn. No flashlight here love.” He laughed.

It took me a moment to realize he was enjoying this, rat bastard. I decided to try getting up again, I had to pee after all. I opened my eyes again, slowly this time. Moving my eyeballs hurt, but I was determined to get up and moving so I could spend my birthday with Jamie.

Once the room stopped spinning, I got up and went towards the bathroom, only to hesitate when Jamie started cracking up.

“What’s so funny?”

“Well, your outfit for one. You certainly aren’t leaving anything to the imagination. I love it.”

I turned my head slightly to look in the mirror, only to see I was wearing a flimsy excuse for a nightgown. I had gotten this for Travis’s birthday, but hadn’t had the chance to use it yet. With my cheeks flaming, I hurried to the bathroom, hoping my robe was hanging up on the door. No such luck though.

“Jamie, get out of my room so I can get dressed when I come back out.” I yelled through the door.

“Um, I’m not really sure that’s a good idea, you may need help getting dressed…or undressed, and I happen to be an expert at that.”

“Just go, you pervert! If I need help, I’ll yell out to you.”

~     ~    ~     ~    ~     ~    ~     ~    ~     ~    ~     ~    ~     ~    ~

JAMIE’S POV:

I chuckled as I walked out of her room. The look on her face as she realized she was in that skimpy nightgown…priceless, and I will have that image burned into my brain for a long time to come. I heard the shower start as I sat on the couch. I pulled out my phone and played on it as I waited for her to come out. I thought about all the things I wanted to do with Rini for her birthday, there were so many years to catch up with her, so little time.

“So what’s on the agenda for today?” I heard her ask.

“Well, first you’re going to apologize to your friend from last night.” I answered, without looking at her.

“What friend?” She asked confusedly.

“The one you called a skank and made cry.” I answered finally looking up.

“Hmmm, not ringing any bells Jamsie. What did she look like?”

“You know, your friend that has the big boobs and red hair.”

Vanessa?! No way, I am not apologizing to her. She isn’t my friend, she’s Travis’s friend…and from the sounds of it I didn’t say anything that’s untrue.”

I shook my head at her, “Serenity, I’m disappointed in your behavior. You’ve never acted like this before you met Travis. How could you let him change you so much? I hardly recognize you anymore.”

Rini looked down at her hands guiltily. I knew I had touched a nerve when I saw her shoulders start shaking. I grabbed her in a hug and rubbed her back soothingly, just waiting for her to calm down.

She cried quietly into my shirt. This was not how I imagined spending her birthday, but I knew she would do the right thing. She finally calmed down and made a call, only to hang the phone up a few seconds later.

“Ok Jamie, I will apologize, but another time. It just goes straight to voicemail and I don’t want to waste anymore of our time together.” She said. I could see her attempt at compromising and the puppy dog eyes, not something I can usually resist.

“Fine. But you have to pinky swear you’ll make things right.” I relented. “Now go wash your face so we can get to the fun stuff.”

She jumped up off of the couch only to lean down and give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Jamsie, I don’t know what I would do without you! I’ll be right back.”

I know its short, but life has been kicking my behind lately. I'll work on finishing the next chapter asap and making it longer. Thanks for sticking with me!