Chapter 6: Revelations

RINI’S POV:

“Ok, you can open. It’s starting soon.” I heard him whisper in my ear, making chills run down my spine. I waited a moment, until I started hearing a familiar tune being played. When I opened my eyes, I was amazed.

“Wicked?!” I squealed. “You brought me to see Wicked?”

“I’ve had this planned for months, I met Laurel Harris a while ago. I was going to just get an autograph for you, but when I told her how much you loved the show, she gave me this idea.” He explained.

I was floored with his gesture, here sat the man who knew me better than anyone else in the world. No one had ever done anything like this for me. I got a good look around as the lights started dimming.

“Are we the only ones here?”

“Yeah, I rented the theater out for your special day. When the curtain drops, they are going to do a meet and greet instead of the normal bow.”

“I think I just fell in love,” I said jokingly, as I fluttered my eyelashes at him. “This had to be the best birthday ever!” He opened his mouth to say something, but the music started, and I turned to the front.

Of course, I’d seen this before, just not the actual Broadway show, only local shows. Yeah, it was definitely a no brainer, I had all the songs memorized. And I absolutely took advantage of the fact that Jamie and I were the only ones in the theater. I sang to all the songs, and may or may not have made Jamie sing along too. Once it was over, we got up and gave a standing ovation. I was so excited to meet the cast.

“Ready?” Jamie asked.

“Yes, no, I’m so nervous! What if I make a fool out of myself?” I babble as Jamie laughs at me.

“Don’t worry Rini-Nitti, anyone who doesn’t love you is a fool. Believe me, I know what I’m talking about.” He smiled down at me.

I grabbed his arm and we walked down to the stage to meet the cast.

~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~

JAMIE’S POV:

The night was amazing, I couldn’t have asked for it to come out better. Rini couldn’t stop talking about the show, the whole ride back to her place.

“I’m so glad you took me, this must have cost a fortune though…you really shouldn’t have Jamsie!” She tried protesting, yet again.

“I’ve missed seeing the spark in your eye. I know it’s been a hard couple of years for you and I wanted to make sure you had something to remember about this day.” We had just gotten to her house, so I opened the door and helped her out of the car.

“Did you want to come in for a cup of coffee?” She asked in a sweet, innocent tone. It kind of made me think she was up to something, and maybe something I wouldn’t mind, so I agreed readily.

I sat on the couch while she prepared the coffee. I was starting to get nervous, maybe now wasn’t the best time to reveal my feelings. I could always tell her tomorrow, let her sleep on how amazing tonight was. Or she’ll forget how happy I made her tonight, I thought to myself. As she walked back into the room, I came to the conclusion that I was being a big chicken and needed to just get this over with and lay it all out for her.

“Jamsie, this has been the best day ever. I can’t believe how lucky I am to have you in my life.” She said, placing her hand on my arm.

“Rini, I have to talk to you about something.” I grabbed her hand and held it in mine.

“Ooh, you sound so serious.” She teased.

“It is serious,” I told her with a straight face. “I want you to know something. I’ve been trying to say this all day, things just came up, or it wasn’t the right time.” When I hesitated Rini squeezed my hand, encouraging me to go on. “I love you.”

She smiled at me, “Duh Jamsie, I love you too.”

“No, I mean I love you, as in I’m IN love with you. I have been for years, I love your smile, your honesty, your kindness, your courage, even your jealousy. I could go on all night about all the things I love about you, but the fact remains that I love all of you Serenity Chesterton.”

Rini looked shocked, I didn’t blame her. The one time in my life that I really wanted to know what she is thinking, or feeling, and I can’t read the emotions in her eyes.

“Please, say something.” I beg her.

~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~    ~

RINI’S POV:

He loves me!? I can barely comprehend the words. When we were younger, I always hoped this day would come, where he would reveal how much he loved me and how he wanted to be with me. But I had to watch as he went out with girl, after girl, after girl instead. Now, now that I’m happy with Travis, he has to come and say that he loves me.

“Why are you doing this?” I ask him.

“Doing what?”

“Why now, if you’ve loved me for years, why wait until now to reveal it?”

“I didn’t want to ruin our friendship, and I wanted to make sure I could give you the life you deserve, I wanted to establish myself first.” He starts rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb, as if he’s trying to sooth me.

I pull my hands out of his, “As if any of that mattered to me. I haven’t seen you in four years, and you decide that now’s a good time to come clean about your feelings? You don’t have the right to come into my life and turn everything upside down. Maybe that’s how they do it in the big city, but not here.” The more I talked, the angrier I became. “If you loved me, you would have known that I didn’t care if you were established or not, I wouldn’t have cared if you had money. You should have known that all that mattered was that you were with me. Instead, I have to go through the hardest time of my life alone.

“No, you’ve never been alone, I may not have been here physically, but we talked and video chatted every day when you lost your parents.”

“Get out.” I tell him calmly, I was about to lose it, and I don’t want him to see me cry again today.

“No. I’m invoking the Don’t Be Angry clause. We will talk this out tonight Rini.”

“Fine,” I respond, stubbornly, “if you won’t leave, I will. I want you gone in the morning, and I’m not sure when I’ll want to see you again so you need to respect me and wait for me to call you.”

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to my boyfriend’s house, I just need to be away from you right now Jamie.” I started to stand, but he pulled me back down.

“Don’t go, he doesn’t deserve you Rini.” Jamie said, softly.

“You don’t even know him. He’s a good man, he cares about me and he’s what I want for my future. If you cared about me, like you say you do, you’ll let me go.”

I stood up and ran out the door, straight into Rafe. Running into him was a little like running into a wall. He steadied me, before I could fall on my ass, and looked behind me.

“Let her go Rafe, she doesn’t want to be around me right now.” I heard Jamie respond, a little despondently.

Once I was released, I ran to my car and left. I can’t believe what a day today was, it was so amazing. I thought about everything the whole way over to Travis’s, it was only a 5 minute drive, but it felt a lot longer. I breathed a sigh of relief when I pulled into Travis’s driveway, I should have called, but, I decided to surprise him instead.