Chapter 2: Awkward Much?

The hostess led us to our table, handed us menus, and took our drink order. The whole time she was talking to us, she was ogling my boyfriend like I wasn’t even there, and he was relishing in her attention, chest puffed out and everything. I glared at her, silently daring her to try something…I get a little crazy sometimes, and I don’t like sharing. When she caught my glare, she turned to leave. I moved the menu to hide my face, I didn’t want to ruin the evening by being jealous. A flash of color showed in my peripheral vision, I figured it was our waiter coming to get our orders, until a familiar voice rang in my ears.

There stood Jamie, he looked like he had grown since I last saw him. He was about six feet tall, had brown hair (that was styled perfectly as always), a goatee that made him look a little devious (it matched the mischievous twinkle in his eyes), and the prettiest eyes I’ve ever seen. I’ve always been jealous of his eyes, he had long lashes that made me want to steal them for myself, and the lightest color brown eyes I’ve ever seen, so light that they looked gold in the sunlight. All I could do was stare in shock, he saw this and kindly repeated himself.

“Did you hear me?” he laughed out, “I said you should try the lasagna, it’s to die for.”

“Rini, what’s gotten into you? I swear, sometimes I wonder if you’re retarded or something.” My mouth snapped shut at Travis’s words.

Jamie turned to glare at Travis, if looks could kill, I’d be asking Siri where the closest place to hide a body is. “How dare you talk to her like that?! I’ll have you know this woman is smarter than you’ll ever be!” He turned back to me, disbelief, and a little disappointment, clear on his face. “Is this seriously your boyfriend? How can you stand to be treated like this? I swear, I taught you that you deserve better than this scum sucking – “

I started laughing at this, “Stop it Jamie. I can’t believe you’re here. When you said soon, I thought you meant tomorrow or something.” To say I was shocked would be a gross understatement.

“Wait, Jamie…as in your best friend Jamie?”

“Oh, you’ve heard of me? Why am I not surprised?”

“Well, yeah….you’re just a little different than I pictured you.” Poor Travis, he looked so confused.

“I’m taller than you though? Hotter? All around more awesome?” Jamie responded, such a smug look on his face. He was smiling like the cat that got the canary.

All I could do was laugh, I stood to give him a hug. “Still so modest Jamie. I missed you, and this bantering.”

“Uh, no. More like a guy. Rini never told me you were a guy, and from the way she talks about you, I assumed you were a girl.” Now it was Travis’s turn to smile, kind of condescendingly, at Jamie.

“Well you know what they say about assuming. It makes an ass out of you.”

“And me,” Travis answered, his voice was starting to get loud, I knew I would have to intervene soon.

“Yes, that’s what I said, assuming makes an ass out of you. Anyway Rini-Nitti. I missed you so much, I don’t think you can even imagine how much I thought of you. I would be in meetings and someone would say something that reminded me of you and I would start laughing, out of nowhere. I’m sure some people thought I needed to spend some time in a loony bin…but it would be worth it, as long as I got to come back to you.” Well that made me blush. Jamie is the only person who makes me blush…and this didn’t escape Travis’s notice.

“Are we going to enjoy dinner, or do we have to suffer through this guy’s sarcasm all night?” Travis asked me. He was staring daggers at Jamie, who decided to sit down next to me and place his arm on my shoulder.