21| My Mission

Connor's Perspective

"After what happened today, the country is on the verge of a civil war. The machines are rising up against their masters." Amanda told the RK800. "Humans have no choice but to destroy them."

"Kamski told me how to find Jericho. I know where the deviants are hiding."

"You've done very well, Connor. Thanks to you, we now have a chance to stop the deviant revolution."

That also meant stopping (Y/N),
He'd have to fight the person he'd already hurt before.
The person he'd hurt the most.
"I saw a photo of Amanda at Kamski's place...She was his teacher." He hissed.

"When Kamski designed me he wanted an interface that would look familiar. That's why he chose his former mentor. What are you getting at?"

"I'm not a unique model, am I? How many Connor's are there?"

Software Instability ^

"I don't see how that question pertains to your investigation."

"You didn't tell me everything you know about deviants, did you?"

"I expect you to find answers, Connor." She commanded. "Not ask questions. Have you experienced anything unusual recently? Any doubts or conflicts?"

Connor stared off into space, thinking of the moments he shared with others that made him feel something, anything.

"Do you feel anything for these deviants....Or for Detective (L/N)?"

She knows.

He had to think of a way to get out of the situation, so he acted in denial.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I don't feel anything, you know that. Are you suggesting that I've been compromised?" He knew he was telling a deceiving lie, & he was hoping it would work.

"No...No, of course not."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're off the case. The FBI is taking over." Fowler sat on his desk, addressing Hank & Connor.

"What? But we're onto something." Hank pressed. "We.. We just need more time. I'm sure we can-"

"Hank, you don't get it. After (Y/N)'s absent report came in, everything's fallen to shit. This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking civil war! It's out of our hands now. We're talking about National Security here."

"Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close!"

"You're always saying you can't stand androids! Jesus, Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this!"
"We're about to crack the case! I know we can solve it! For God's sake, Jeffrey, can't you back me up this one time?"

Fowler's face faltered.

"There's nothing I can do. You're back on homicide, if (L/N) comes back tell her the same, & the android returns to Cyberlife. I'm sorry, Hank, but it's over."

Hank heaved a loud sigh, exiting the room.

////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\

Hank: Friend

P A T H U N L O C K E D

////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\

Connor looked around the room anxiously before making his leave, going off to find the Lieutenant.

"I know we could've done it." Hank said as Connor leaned himself against the desk.

"I get my orders from Cyberlife. My mission hasn't changed." Hank faced him.

"I'm gonna use the key that Kamski gave me.
And find Jericho."

Anderson shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"What if we're on the wrong side? What if we're fighting against people that just wanna be free? What if that's what (Y/N) realised?"

"If that's the case, I'll find out when I get to Jericho."

"When (Y/N) was hanging off the roof, back at the urban farm, you let that deviant go in order to help her. You put our lives above the mission." Hank stated.

"You showed empathy, Connor.
And empathy is a human emotion."

He sat there for a second, looking down at his hands.

"I don't know why I did it..." His tone broke slightly, as if he were troubled.

"I know it hasn't always been easy, but I want you to know I really appreciated working with you – both of you." Hank sat up, watching Connor as he spoke.

"That's not just my Social Relations program talking, I- I really mean that... Or at least, I think I do..." Hank half-smiled at the android's attempt to speak.

Connor picked himself up from the side of the desk & started making his way around the outside of it, walking towards the door.

"You're gonna have to choose your side, Connor..." He heard from Hank, causing him to look back at the Lieutenant & stop in his tracks.

"Deciding who you are can be the hardest thing... You watch your back, alright?" the Lieutenant spoke with sincerity, "If you see (Y/N), watch hers as well."

Now all he needed to do was find the proper attire to get into Jericho unnoticed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hank had given Connor permission to use some of his clothes in order to get into Jericho, which meant Connor was back at the Lieutenant's house. So far, he'd found everything he'd needed except a jacket, which was slung over the back of one of the dining chairs. When he reached to grab it & started putting it on, he noticed he'd let a beanie fall off the back of the same chair. Adjusting his new disguise, he reached down to pick up the charcoal coloured piece. He checked the inside tag.

It had (Y/N)'s initials on it. This was her beanie. He ran his thumb over the fabric, recognising her now almost foreign scent.

He'd made such a mistake, even though he knew she was venting he should've made an attempt to calm her down, to let her be rational about things. What made him feel the worst was the fact that he'd made her cry.
What was the feeling?
Guilt?
Another emotion....
One that was slowly tearing up his system.

He placed the beanie over his brown locks, making sure to hide his LED in the process if needed to look like a human & 'blend in'.

Would she be there? After all, she was involved in the freedom march, so her staying at Jericho could've been possible.

It was go time.