9 | mob mentality

For the first time since being down, Jovie actually woke up at a decent hour. They were determined to finish building the wall as quickly as they could, especially after they found Wells dead outside the camp. No one knew exactly what had happened. They assumed it was the Grounders, but it definitely set everyone on edge. No one was particularly sad that Wells was gone because in all honesty, most of the camp hated him for being the Chancellor's son, but that didn't mean it didn't affect people. It made them realize that no one was safe.

Jovie was helping Connor move the wood when he suddenly fell to his knees. She dropped the wood that she was holding and knelt down.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Hey! You think the Grounders are just gonna sit around, and wait for us to finish the wall?" Her brother suddenly interjected. Jovie shot a look up at him to back off. Connor was clearly dehydrated and it wasn't going to benefit anyone to push him to work when he should be taking a break. "Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?" Murphy continued, pointing at Charlotte behind them.

"I just need some water, okay? Then I'll be fine," Connor assured them. Jovie stood to her feet to get him some water when Bellamy walked up.

"Murphy, get this guy some water," he ordered. Murphy rolled his eyes and slowly started to walk away. "Hey, you got this?" Bellamy asked Charlotte, motioning to the giant pieces of wood. Jovie smirked when Charlotte went down to reach for the wood, Bellamy quickly stopping her. "I'm just kidding." Charlotte smiled. Bellamy looked over at Jovie for a brief second, giving her a nod in acknowledgement, before easily lifting the wood over his shoulder to move it to the wall.

"He's just trying to show off," Jovie told Charlotte, making her giggle.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Murphy?" Connor suddenly screamed, jumping to his feet and shoving Murphy back. Jovie looked over to see Murphy had peed on Connor and she rolled her eyes. What an idiot. Two guys quickly intervened, pushing Connor off of Murphy.

"Look at you! You wanted a water break. Get back to work!" Murphy screamed. The teenagers listened to him. Jovie walked up to her brother and punched his shoulder. "What was that for?" He asked with a scowl.

"For being a dick," she said. "I know playing well with others isn't a strong suit of yours, J, but maybe you should learn. It could save your life one day."

Jovie was helping the others build the wall when Bellamy grabbed her attention from the camp. He waved her over and by the look on his face she realized it was something urgent.

"Hey, I'll be right back," she told the guy that she was helping. She jogged over to where Bellamy stood in front of his tent. "What's up?"

"You're gonna want to see this," he said before leading her into the tent. Clarke, Octavia, and Jasper were already standing in there. They all looked a little spooked and Jovie wasn't sure if she wanted to find out why.

"This knife was made of metal from the dropship," Clarke said as she held a knife in her hand. Jovie looked over at it and immediately recognized it. It was her brother's. She clenched her jaw as she watched them.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy asked.

"No one. We brought it straight here," Octavia told him as she leaned against the table.

"It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells. It was one of us," Clarke concluded. Jovie swallowed the lump in her throat. She didn't want to believe it was John, but they had found his knife next to Wells' fingers outside the camp. It was pretty solid evidence and even she couldn't deny that.