34 | pain in the ass

Bellamy did not hesitate in giving the delinquents instructions the second Clarke made the decision to stay. It was like he was just waiting for this to happen because he was already ready to give his speech.

"This is what we've been preparing for! Kill them before they kill us. Gunners, to your posts," he said. "Use the tunnels to get in and out. From now on, the gate stays closed." The delinquents rushed into action, sprinting to their designated spots. Jovie looked over to see Finn putting his hands on his head in frustration. She walked over to him and nudged his shoulder to let him know she was there.

"I want this fight as much as you do," she said. And that was not at all. "But if we don't fight, we're all going to die."

"I know," he said simply, though he sounded defeated about it. He was aware that this war was going to happen whether he liked it or not. "I just wish there was another way."

"We tried, Finn," she reminded him. "It just wasn't the time. Hopefully one day we can get our peace."

Octavia started walking towards the post when Bellamy ran after her.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," he said as he grabbed her arm. "You're not a gunner."

"No, I'm not. Like you said, I'm a Grounder," she replied as she wielded Lincoln's sword. A smirk formed on Jovie's face as she watched her friend run off. Octavia had come a long way from the scared girl on the Ark. She was a warrior now.

"Jo, Finn, come with us," Bellamy called, motioning them to the dropship where Raven and Clarke were. "We've got 25 rifles with 20 rounds each, give or take. Roughly 500 rounds of ammo. While you two were gone, we made some improvements," Bellamy informed them. "Thanks to Raven, the gully is mined."

"Partially minded. Thanks to Murphy," Raven cut in. Jovie hung her head. Just hearing her last name made her angry. They didn't lump her together with her brother's actions, but it was just the association of being related to him that she found herself being ashamed of. Bellamy must have noticed this because he reached over and rested his hand gently on the small of her back before continuing to discuss their war plans.

"Still, it's the main route in. If the Grounders use it, we'll know," Bellamy said. "She also built grenades."

"It's not many," Clarke noted.

"Again, thank you, Murphy," Raven said.

"We'll make them count. If the Grounders make it through the front gate, guns and grenades should force them back," Bellamy said.

"And then?" Clarke said.

"Then we close the door and pray," Raven answered.

"And pray what? That the ship keeps them out?" Clarke said.

"It won't," Jovie stated. "They won't stop. They'll find a way in."

"Then let's not let them get through the gate," Bellamy said before pulling out the walkie. "All foxholes, listen up. Keep your eyes and ears open. Inflict casualties, as many as possible. You can hold them off long enough to make them turn back. That's the plan."

"That's always your plan, just like the bomb at the bridge," Finn commented. Finn had become like Jovie's second brother down here and as soon as her real one left fighting with Bellamy, Finn had taken over fighting with him. She always felt stuck in the middle and she didn't want to have to choose. It was driving her crazy.

"Damn right. You got a better idea?" Bellamy said.

"It can't be that simple," Clarke said as she looked at Raven. "You said there's fuel in those rockets, right? Enough to build 100 bombs?"