Chapter 35

Clarification: Yago and Millie didn't have sex. Yago and Rory didn't record themselves--the video was taken without their knowledge. Thank you. 

#ILWTG35 Chapter 35

"Tutuloy ba si Ellie ngayon?" tanong ni Manang. Agad akong napa-tingin sa gawi ni Papa para makita kung gising ba siya. Though it wasn't a big improvement, it was still an improvement. I could see how Papa's mood lightened up whenever Ellie would come to visit. I was really happy. And thankful.

"Hindi po, e," sagot ko nang masigurado na tulog si Papa. "Busy si Jax ngayon. Hindi madadala dito si Ellie."

I didn't know the setup... I didn't ask. Basta ang alam ko, si Jax ang pinagbilinan ni Yago para kuhanin si Ellie mula kay Millie para dalhin dito sa bahay. Ni hindi ko alam kung alam ba ni Millie o hindi. I just... I just really wanted her gone from my life. I didn't want to talk about her, think about her. I didn't want to give myself an opportunity to get mad at her. She still held the key to destroy my life. And I just wanted to protect myself.

Jax was right... there's no winning this.

I just needed to live my life.

A lot had been sacrificed for this.

Nagsabi na rin ako kay Manang na baka hindi ako makauwi mamayang gabi. Jax fucking resigned from the firm kaya sa akin napunta iyong ibang kaso niya. I could still remember that day... I never thought he had it in him... but I guess he just loves her more than life itself...

"Atty. Div—"

I halted from speaking and walking when I realized how palpable the tension was. Atty. Divina stood up, the veins in his neck were very visible... and it was Jax who was in front of him.

"You're not taking the case, Atty. Yuchengco!" Atty. Divina shouted.

"I already took the case," Jax calmly but seriously replied.

"You must've forgotten that you're still working for me—"

"Then, I'm tendering my resignation effective immediately, Sir."

What. The. Fuck.

"You're about to be a junior partner, Atty. Yuchengco! Are you really going to give it up to take that case?! It's a losing case! All evidence point at her!"

I couldn't see Jax's face... but I knew that if Atty. Divina was talking about Katherine's case, then there's nothing he could do to stop Jax. That guy... it's been years, yet I was certain that when it came to Katherine, he'd move heaven and earth if it meant saving her.

"I'll transfer my pending cases and forward my resignation, Sir. If there's anything I can do for the pending cases, please send me an email," he said. "I value my time here, but I'm afraid I need to do this. Thank you for everything, Atty. Divina."

Agad na napaawang ang labi ko nang tumalikod si Jax. I could see how his eyes looked red... Fuck. Did he cry?! In all the years I had known him, I'd never seen this guy shed a single tear! He's always calm and composed!

Hindi ako maka-galaw. Gusto ko siyang sundan pero agad akong tinawag ni Atty. Divina. He warned me not to help Jax with the case. I was... shit. I didn't know what to do! Agad niya akong sinabihan na kasama ako sa mga sasalo sa mga kaso na iiwan ni Jax. And that I wouldn't have the time to play a losing game with Jax.

But it's Jax...

He'd always have my back...

I thought I was efficient before, but I was even more efficient right now. I was flying through the files because I needed to get out early. Alam ko na hindi ako papayagan ni Atty. Divina na tumulong kay Jax. He has eyes everywhere at sa oras na malaman niya na dumadalaw ako sa kulungan, alam ko na malalagot ako.