Chapter 40

#ILWTG40 Chapter 40

Yago told me a few stories about his father's family. Even before, alam ko na na hindi maganda ang relasyon niya sa parte na iyon ng pamilya niya. Sa four years namin noon, tatlong beses niya lang nabanggit iyon—and that's all in passing. Once was when he punched Sancho in the face; the second one was when I almost failed Civil Procedure and he thought he needed to transfer sections; and the third one was when I asked him why his mom couldn't go to the Philippines for a visit. I never tried to force him to talk about that because I could sense that it was a sore topic.

I knew that if he could go on with his life without talking to his father, he definitely would... so, I really appreciated him going this far for me. It meant a lot for him to say that he's willing to talk to his family for my sake.

"Can you tell me more about them?" I asked while we we're in the car.

"Normal...ish."

I frowned. "What does that even mean?"

He shrugged. "I think you'll like my cousins. They're nice. The elders? Not so much."

I bit my lower lip as I held my hands together to stop myself from worrying too much. Kailangan ko silang makausap nang maayos. I needed their help to find Ellie. I already tried all my contacts para malaman kung nasaan sina Ellie, but I contacted them a little too late. Nung isang araw pa nakaalis sila Millie. I hated how she took advantage of me grieving and used that as an opportunity to escape! Isinama niya pa talaga si Ellie sa pagtatago niya!

"Any topic I should avoid?" I asked.

"You know what? I'm not sure. I haven't seen them in a long time. I rarely see them," he said.

I reached for his hand and held it. "Thank you," I said. "I know that this is hard for you, pero thank you."

Tahimik lang siya habang nagda-drive. Yago said that we'd be going to his grandparents' house. I knew that we're still in Makati, but I didn't know the place we're going to. Parang tago na siyang lugar.

My eyes widened when we stopped in front of a huge gate. There was a camera and Yago just looked at it and the gate opened automatically. I couldn't even see the house because the pathway was very long!

I mean, I knew that Yago came from a rich family... I just never thought he's this rich!

"Are you from like a corrupt family or something?" I asked while we're waiting from the gate to completely open.

Yago shrugged. "No idea," he replied before he began to drive again. "I'm really not close to this family, Rory. This is gonna be so awkward. I'm just warning you."

Hindi na ako sumagot pa. The way Yago talked about the Gomez de Liaño family, it felt like he's an outsider. He never talked fondy about them—just with distant familiarity. Na para bang alam niya lang ang pangalan nila, nakikita paminsan-minsa—but that's all there was to it.

It didn't scream family.

At least not the way I knew how family should be.

Nang tuluyan nang huminto iyong sasakyan ni Yago, agad akong huminga nang malalim. What's the worst that could happen? Yago and I had already been through the worst. I'm not worried at all about that... I just wanted them to like me enough for them to help me find Ellie.

"Do you think they'll agree to help us find Ellie?"

"Yeah... she's a GDL. They'll help."

Napaawang ang labi ko.