Chapter 23

~Achilles~

I was happy that Xander and I were celebrating Christmas together even though it was the evening of January first. We had agreed that we would still have a little get together even though we hadn't spent Christmas together.

Presently, Xander had showered and changed, coming out into the living room and holding a few gifts in his hands. His hair was wet and it looked smaller somehow.

"Where did all your hair go?" I asked him as he came closer and eventually sat beside me, smelling fresh and clean.

Xander laughed, putting the gifts down and touching his head, "What do you mean? It's called shrinkage. My hair just kind of does that if I get it very wet, or if I leave it alone for a while."

"Seriously? How did I never notice that? Will it poof back up?" I touched his hair, pulling on a strand.

"If I stretch it out, yeah." he said, impatiently, "Anyways, I don't want to currently explain the physics of black hair, Achilles. I want to give you your Christmas presents." He had two slender presents settled in his lap. Xander picked one up, "This one first."

The gift was wrapped in blue and grey paper and I opened it quickly. I saw that it was an Apple Watch. "Holy shit, Xander!" I looked from him and back to the gift. "You did not have to get this."

"Yeah, well I know you take your running seriously, and you said you wanted to do a marathon this year. This will help you with your training." Xander talked with a pleased note, as I looked at the sleek black watch. Damn, I felt spoiled.

"Okay, your turn." I said, putting down the watch and picking up my gift. The box was pretty big.

Xander got off of the couch to sit on the floor, gently unwrapping the gift. "Oh my God." He whispered. The record player came into view and Xander looked ecstatic. "My old one broke and I thought it was the last of that version. How did you even get this model?"

"I went to an antique shop and got it restored." I felt proud that he liked it.

"I can't believe you got this for me, this is already more than enough, wow." Xander was caressing the side of the record player the way someone would touch a new car, like they were excited to try it out and thrilled to have it.

"Well, I got you one more thing." I said, "But let me open your last gift next."

Xander reached onto the couch and passed a small light box to me. I took it from him and started opening it. It looked like a medium sized jewelry box but it had a small turning handle on the side. I realized then it wasn't a jewelry box but a musical one. I opened it to see a miniature black wolf in a howling position. I turned the handle on the side as a melody began to play, the wolf turning in a circle with every crank. The song was clear and sounded like — It sounded like our song. Struck by some kind of emotion, I felt my throat clog as I turned the handle. "How did you even make this?"

Xander was still sitting on the floor with his legs crossed and looking up at me. "You like it, Achilles?"

"I love it." I said. "This is so embarrassing, I think I'm going to start crying." I was just so touched. "Did you make this?"

Now, Xander seemed embarrassed, "YouTube has lots of tutorials. And you liked that lullaby so much I wanted to preserve it for you." His voice was soft as he leaned his cheek against my knee, "I'm glad you like it."

Xander picked out the second gift I'd gotten him, unwrapping it quickly. It was a gift basket I'd compiled for Xander with sheet music manuscript notebooks, and some hair care products. I'd gotten to a beauty supply warehouse feeling overwhelmed and confused. I knew Xander's hair was curly but apparently it was more complicated than that and a nice worker had helped me choose haircare products that would compliment Xander's hair. I'd shown her pictures of Xander, his hair and documented a list of products he'd used. I'd gotten him a few scrunchies and hair accessories as well.

The last thing in the basket was some chocolates I'd gotten at some kind of Vampire bakery. I'd asked Xander's friend, Elle, about things he liked and apparently there was some kind of vampire bakery that sold sweets that had blood as a key ingredient. I'd bought some cupcakes and truffles for Xander.

Xander was looking up at me with wide eyes, "This is very sweet, thank you."

Xander got up from the floor, moving onto the couch and squeezing my thigh before kissing me. He put his other hand in my hair, threading his fingers through the strands. I couldn't get enough of the feel and taste of Xander as he kissed me sweetly. Xander stopped kissing me to kiss my throat, fangs grazing against my skin.

"Bite me." I said, finding that I really wanted it.

Xander licked the line of my throat slowly, to my growing frustration before sinking his fangs into my neck. He drank slowly, more than he usually did before removing his mouth and licking the wounds closed.

I felt a bit light headed in a good way, "I cannot believe how hot I find that." I leaned my head against Xander's shoulder, still surprised but happy that he smelled so strongly of  vanilla. "I told my family about that dinner thing you suggested. They didn't seem totally opposed to the idea. I can work on Anders and Jim. When do you want to have it?"

"A couple weeks from now would be good, I'll need time to plan everything. It'll be great."

"Why do you care so much about what my family thinks about us? You didn't care before."  I said slowly,

"I know the way they've treated you hurts you, so it hurts me, too." Xander explained, shifting in his seat until he stood up. "I'm excited for it but I kind of want to take a nap. Wanna snuggle with me until I fall asleep?" Xander's tone was suggestive and I stood up quickly.

"Yes, of course. Are we snuggling with our clothes off or on?" I asked, stroking Xander's hip.

"Well, we'll see won't we?" Xander's voice was light, teasing. "Come on, then." He winked, turning towards the bedroom.

I was on his heels in an instant, having missed that vital skin to skin contact with my mate. I slipped my hand into Xander's, ready to make up for lost time.

#
Another short chapter. Overall thoughts?