Chapter 2

"A test... of our quirks?", I stammered.

"What about the entrance ceremony?! Or guidance lessons?!", Uraraka yelped.

"No time to waste on that stuff if you want to become heroes", Aizawa simply answered.

Is he for real? Is- Is this allowed?

"UA is known for it's 'freestyle educational system'. That applies to us teachers as well", Aizawa stated. He turned around to look at the class. "Softball throwing. The standing long jump. The 50-meter dash. Endurance running. Grip strength. Side-to-side stepping. Upper body training. Seated toe touch." He paused before continuing. "You did all these in middle school, yes? Your standard no-quirks-allowed gym tests."

We're going to do all that? I mean... I'm fit, I know that. But doing all this on the first day...?

"Our country still insists on prohibiting quirks when calculating the averages of those results", Aizawa continued. "It's not rational. The department of education is just procrastinating." He suddenly turned around and pointed at a certain student. "Bakugo. How far could you throw in middle school?"

"67 meters", Bakugo answered without hesitation.

Excuse me...? How does he know that? I could dig through the deepest archives of my mind for days and still not know my score in middle school.

"Great. Now try it with your quirk", Aizawa instructed as he tossed Bakugo a ball. "Do whatever you need, just don't leave the circle. Give it all you've got."

"Awesome", Bakugo grinned and he rolled his shoulders.

I watched as the blond moved his arm back before throwing, creating an explosion in the palm of his hand. But what surprised me the most was that he screamed 'die' while throwing. Quite loudly.

All I could still see from the ball when it landed was the smoke that rose from it. Two beeps were heard and Aizawa raised a small screen to show Bakugo's score.

705.2 meters.

"It's important for us to know our limits", Aizawa stated. "That's the first rational step to figuring out what kind of heroes you'll be."

I bit my bottom lip.

Toshi would have loved this. Not that his quirk would be of much use in a physical test, but the idea of being allowed to use it would make him happy. I'm sure of it.

"Whoa, this is awesome!", a voice that I recognized as Kirishima's said.

"705 meters? Seriously?", someone else exclaimed.

"So we can use our quirks for real! Man, the hero course is great!"

"...Awesome, you say?", Aizawa said in a low tone. "You're hoping to become heroes after three years here, and you think it'll all be fun and games?" He slowly raised his head until he was looking straight at the class again. "Right...", he said like he confirmed something for himself. "The one with the lowest score across all eight events will be judged hopeless... And will be expelled."

I sharply inhaled.

Expelled?!

"Your fates are in our hands", Aizawa said as he brushed his hair back with his hand, giving off a slightly insane vibe. "Welcome. This is the hero course at U.A. High."

I pursed my lips in determination.

No way I'm getting expelled. I know I'm more than fit enough to pass this test. Even without a quirk that makes me super strong or gives me the ability to throw a softball over 700 meters.