34: Waited Too Long

Shawn's POV
•••
After seconds leading into minutes, minutes leading into hours, hours leading into days, days leading into weeks, weeks leading into months, months leading into years.. it was time that I saw her. Oh, how I missed our chats.. still do.
Her jokes and our laughs. Our breakfasts together..
Our forts that we would build out of pillows and blankets.. and I'd hold her under the stars.
It had been so long.. too long.
I don't know how many years, but it had been too long.
I cancelled my tour just to spend weeks driving around looking for her. When I found the address.. the roof that she stayed under.. the house that had the walls that could tell stories and stories about us. Our stories.
I marched up her steps with the bouquet of dying flowers in my excited hands.
My feet took their precious time wandering to her front door.
Then I saw it.. her happy smile. Along with another happy smile. A tall figure.. dark completion, short black hair. Two little kids ran around them both on the other side of the glass.
"Not worth it." I mumbled to myself.
A tear from my eye and the wilting roses fall onto her concrete.
Those seconds.. those minutes.. those hours.. those days.. those weeks.. those months.. those years.. I wasted them all. If only I had myself a time machine where I could erase my selfishness and spoil her to bits. Maybe then, I'd be the one in that house, behind that window.
All my fault.. all because I waited too long.