16

Dinner was normal but better than having them with Dad.

All of the food were made by Kyryan with my sister's help and they were delicious. While they cook, Evan and I had a conversation in the living room. It started normally, a get-to-know conversation. But soon, he said something that seems really important to him;

"Please take care of her."

To me, it was so random that he suddenly told me to take care of Kyryan but he soon after told me her story, which is similar to what my sister has informed me.

He said, "Kyryan is having a hard time fitting in with people her age as she feels insecure about things. Her past sometimes haunts her."

What I know about her past as been told by Kyryan herself is she was bullied. So, I think Evan was referring to that.

"I want to help her to be like . . . a teenager; have fun with friends with the same age or close. I know I'm not a dad yet, but sometimes I feel like I have that responsibility. When she was younger, I wanted her to get her sunshine and rainbows childhood back but I feel like I failed that. Now, I feel like I have a chance to make her go to school, make friends and live her adolescent. All because of you."

I tried to process what he just said but my brain wasn't really functioning. Hearing those meaningful words that came out of his mouth like that filled my heart's content. It was so touching. My heart was filled with happiness to its fullest I couldn't breathe. I was grateful he trusts me. But what came out of my mouth were stutters.

He asked me, "Do you not consider her as a friend?" I didn't say anything as I wasn't sure. "She does."

"I do consider her as a friend but I was hesitating as she sometimes . . . can be . . ."

"A savage and a bit rude?" He finished my sentence and I sheepishly agreed. He only smiled. "She doesn't talk about you a lot but once I asked her opinion and she said you're pretty cool and would like to know you better. She even said your Quirk is amazing."

Quirk . . . He said Quirk. Did Kyryan tell him about Quirks? Or does he know?

"She didn't think I'm some kind of monster?"

"No, not at all. You know, Todoroki, you don't have to doubt on her too much. She'll treat you equally because she used to think she's a freak, too. Now I look back at this, you both have a few things similar."

"Dinner is ready!" Kyryan called out from the kitchen.

"Thanks! We'll be right there," Evan replied, his head over his shoulder. He turned back to me with another smile. "You're the first friend she made by herself. Plus, a friend about her age. Will you take care of her?"

I've already thought about that ever since we were reunited again.

"Of course."

School isn't starting until another week as our internship hasn't ended. I had to stay home as my sister forbade me to go out even though I can walk and do stuff on my own but I didn't complain to her. She tried inviting Kyryan since she thought I wanted her company which I completely don't want one.

.
.
.
.
.

I'm lying to myself.

Besides, it would've turn out bad if Kyryan bumps into my father. As I lie on my bed facing the ceiling, what I'm thinking feels wrong. I can't believe the image that is stuck in my head is Kyryan.

What is wrong with me?

I jolt up from my bed when someone knocked on my door. I didn't have time to give permission for the person, he already barged in. And by 'he', I mean my father. Automatically my face turns into a scowl, hatred flows within me.

"What the hell are you doing still lying on the bed?!" He starts yelling at me. Duh, isn't it obvious? Or are you blind from all that fire on your eyes? I'm injured.

"If you're here to tell me to train, I was told by the doctor I needed my rest," I speak, using all my willpower to not roll my eyes at him.

"If you call yourself a hero, you need to get up and push yourself to the limit."

Shut up with the lecturing, old man!

"All your competitors will surpass you if you don't keep it up. They'll surpass you even before you can surpass me."

Finally, he leaves my room without closing the door which makes me more annoyed. Once he's out of sight, I roll my eyes with a big sigh. I get off from my bed, grabbing a jacket to wear over my tank top. I leave the room and I'm not following the old man. I leave the house to get some fresh air. Breathing the same air with him gets me suffocating. I try my best to clear my mind but this time it is more difficult than usual. I let out a groan.

"Candy Cane?"

I turn to the source of the voice and isn't expecting to see Kyryan here. And I'm not even sure where is 'here'.

"You look grumpy," she states as she approaches me with a side smile. "What's wrong? "

I only look at her. I couldn't think of anything. Now the closer she got, the more I can't process who this familiar girl is. She raise her eyebrow, gesturing or waiting for me to tell my story.

"Nothing," I say coldly.

"Didn't I tell you to look at the picture I gave you?"

"It didn't help," I lie. I didn't even take a peek at it. I start to walk again.

"Oh. Sorry about that." I hear footsteps behind. She is following me. "Won't you tell me what happened? Maybe I could be of help—"

She suddenly stops along with the footsteps behind me.

"Sorry. I guess I'll head home." She says before walking to the opposite direction.

I stop in my tracks trying to process what I just did. It took me a moment to realize that I have yelled at her. I yelled at her to leave me alone. I have let my anger control me.

I whip my head around and see she's far away from me, still walking. I run after her as I call her name, telling her to wait. Once I get closer, I expected her to run away. But she didn't. Is she giving me a chance? Instead, she stops and turns around. Her face shows fear.

I finally caught up to her. I take a few deep breaths as she fiddles with the hem of her skirt. "I'm sorry. I swear I didn't mean it." She doesn't say anything. "I need you."

Wait.

What did I just say?

Why did I say that?

I search her face to see how she reacts. She is blushing! Come on, say something. Say it's not in that way. Why can't I say it? Is it because I mean it? Shouto, what are you doing?!

"Kyryan."

Now what? I call her name and I still can't say anything?

"It's fine. It's my fault. I shouldn't have pushed you," she says.

"No. Don't apologise. It's not your fault, really. I let my emotions get ahead of me. But really, I need you and I mean it."

What am I saying? I'm making things worse. Am I making things worse? Or is this really the time to tell her how I feel?

Is that what I want?

" Kyryan. "

" I like you. "