☪︎ Chapter Nine

☪︎ Chapter Nine: Vivian('s POV).

Published: March 1st, 2024

Status: Unedited

***

   You'd think after having been in Dusk Fall for a week and a half, I'd be even a smidge less captivated each time I came in contact with the Alpha Nikolai Mariano.

   I lower The Fault in Our Stars just enough to peak at the stunning Alpha only a few feet away in his desk, finishing off the paperwork from all the new members in our pack.

   No, not a chance that attraction has lifted in the slightest.

   I bite my lip trying to hold back a smile as he scratches at his mop of glossy onyx curls, all while taking in a small sip of coffee. His hair was getting a bit longer on the top, which he didn't seem too happy about.

   Me on the other hand, I've yet to express my undying love for it, although I'm sure he'll know just how fond I am if he dares to cut it.

   He rolls his shoulders back for a few moments only to lean back over the seemingly never ending paperwork, but I didn't mind. Everything in me was content just being in the presence of the man before me.

   Dear Goddess I couldn't help but adore everything about him. From the way his brows furrowed as he concentrated, to how precious he looked with those little reading glasses that he hardly needed.

   He momentarily glances from me to his work, only to meet my eyes when he notices I was already looking his way.

   "Vi?" I perk up instantly at the nickname he's given me only to realize he'd caught me full on ogling, making my cheeks go scarlet.

   "Um, yes?" He chuckles softly while taking off his glasses and beckoning me towards him.

   I carefully stand up while placing my book down on the couch I'd been lounging on, ignoring the butterflies in my tummy once I'm standing an arms length from him.

   "Come to me." He holds his hand out to me and I take it, letting him guide me into straddling his lap.

   Nikolai let's out a heavy sigh. "I still have quite a bit of paperwork to sort through, why don't I call Kya and Hansel over so you can do something fun? I hate seeing you cooped up in my office just because I have to be here." He twirls one of my curls around his finger while I frown at him.

   "But I don't want to be somewhere you aren't. You're always so busy with work, I hardly get to see you if it's not dinner time." I hadn't meant to sound so whiny or to pout my lip at him, but the small gesture made him go stiff as he looked up at me.

   "Er, I mean if I'm distracting you I can go. I'm sorry I didn't mean to argue, Sir- I mean, I- Nikolai? Fúck I-." His hands fall to my waist and squeeze gently while rocking my body into his. All I could focus on was my throat suddenly constricting as he leaned in closer, his scent an intoxicating drug.

   "How about we go for a walk? Just the two of us. I haven't been giving you enough of my time, princess." With the amount of dopamine coursing through my system and the way my heart was pounding you'd think he either asked me to marry him, or I was having a heart attack.

   "Y-You want to go on a walk, with me?" I was so caught up in the excitement of having some time with my mate that I couldn't be bothered with how close his lips were to mine.