9

ACHILLES' HEEL
— 9. The Appalachians

    Once arriving in Tennessee, Klaus, Annikah, and Stefan found themselves hiking through the Smoky Mountains, searching for the pack of werewolves Ray had told them about

    Once arriving in Tennessee, Klaus, Annikah, and Stefan found themselves hiking through the Smoky Mountains, searching for the pack of werewolves Ray had told them about. As Klaus and Annikah walked side by side, Stefan walked close behind them, carrying Ray over his shoulders.

Annikah smirked slightly, turning her head to glance over at Stefan with an amused look on her face, "You alright over there?" She asked, her tone of voice sounding mocking, "Is Ray getting too heavy for you, love?"

"I'm fine," Stefan answered without hesitation, giving Annikah a bit of an attitude.

"You sure about that?" Klaus questioned, adding into Annikah's tormenting, "You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down..." He trailed off, a smirk on his face as he began to annoy Stefan on purpose.

Stefan hummed in response, nodding his head, "You know, I get that we're, uh...We're stuck together, Klaus, but if the three of us could maybe just skip the chitchat it'd be great," He retorted with an attitude and Annikah and Klaus turn to each other, exchanging an amused smile.

"So much brooding," Klaus remarked, giving Stefan a knowing look, "Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend."

"Ain't that the truth," Annikah muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes at how accurate Klaus was.

She understood why Stefan was acting the way he was, but it didn't make it any less annoying.

   "Maybe it's 'cause I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves," Stefan complained, speaking in an annoyed tone, "The three of us have been at it all summer."

  "Thanks to Annikah and our pal Ray, we found ourselves a pack," Klaus announced as the three of them stopped walking, looking ahead to see a wolf pack camped out in the woods, "There."

  Annikah smirked, satisfied that after an entire summer spent searching for a pack of werewolves, they had finally found one.

   Stefan wasted no time entering their camp, causing the werewolves to turn to look at him suspiciously. He placed Ray on the ground, causing an unknown woman to rush over to him. "Ray! Oh, my God," She gasped in shock, kneeling next to her fellow pack member, "What's going on?"

The woman froze briefly, slowly looking up at Stefan with a threatening look. "Who are you?"

  After a moment, Klaus and Annikah walked up, joining Stefan. "The important question is who are we," Klaus corrected her, a large grin on his face as he gestured to himself and Annikah, "Please forgive the intrusion. My name is Klaus. And this is Annikah."

"You're the hybrids," The woman realized, an alarmed look on her face.

Hearing her words, Klaus began to smile, as did Annikah. "You've heard of us. Fantastic."