16

ACHILLES' HEEL
— 16. Homecoming

For well over a month now, Klaus and Annikah had been traveling all across the United States, turning werewolves into hybrids for their pack

For well over a month now, Klaus and Annikah had been traveling all across the United States, turning werewolves into hybrids for their pack. Receiving a phone call from Stefan, Klaus exchanged a look with Stefan before answering the phone.

"Portland is fantastic. Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy-looking people, it is literally a breeding ground for werewolves." Klaus explained, a smile forming on his lips.

"Your father is dead," Stefan suddenly informed Klaus, causing the hybrid to stop and exchange a look with Annikah.

"What did you say to me?" Klaus asked him, his face falling at the revelation.

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered," Stefan explained to Klaus without a care in the world, "What do you want me to do with the body?"

"Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened," Klaus insisted, sharing an uneasy look with Annikah, who was utterly speechless as she listened to the conversation.

"I wanna see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself." Klaus demanded in a low, stern tone.

"Well, he is here. Come by whenever." Stefan suggested in a calm tone.

"If you are lying to us, Stefan, your compulsion will expose you. So, answer with your life: Is what you are saying the truth?" Klaus asked him in a stern tone.

"It's true. I saw it with my own eyes." Stefan answered truthfully, causing Annikah to begin to frown. Something was right.

Klaus noticed Annikah's expression and turned to her, giving her a questioning look.

"Rebekah," She mouthed to him and Klaus nodded in understanding.

"I wanna talk to Rebekah," Klaus insisted, exchanging a look with Annikah.

"That's not a problem. She is right here." Stefan assured him and after a moment, he handed the phone to Rebekah.

"Hello, Nik," Rebekah spoke up softly after a moment of silence.

"Rebekah, love. What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run-in with the dagger?" Klaus asked her curiously.

"It's true. He's finally out of our lives for good," She informed him in a quiet tone, "I miss you. I'm miserable here."

"I'll be home soon." He assured her and turned to face Annikah, who didn't seem to believe anything she was hearing.

"Good. I'll see you then, brother." She told them before hung up the phone and turned to the others.

  Klaus placed his phone in his pocket before walking closer to Annikah, who looked uneasy. "What's wrong?"

"Something isn't right," She confessed and Klaus gave her a concerned look, "I believe they're lying."