10

ACHILLES' HEEL
— 10. The Windy City

  It didn't take long for Klaus, Annikah, and Stefan to arrive in Chicago

  It didn't take long for Klaus, Annikah, and Stefan to arrive in Chicago. When they did, they stepped out of Klaus' car and while Stefan had no idea where they were, Annikah began to smile. "Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan. I'm sure you're glad to be back," She announced, much to Stefan's confusion.

He had no idea how she knew he had been there before, but made no attempt to ask.

"What are we doing here?" He asked instead, an uneasy look on his face.

Klaus and Annikah turned to each other briefly, trying to contain their smiles. "We know how much you loved it here," He answered, noticing the way Stefan seemed uneasy about being in Chicago, "Bringing back old memories of the good, old ripper days."

"Blacked out most of them," Stefan confessed in a calm tone, clearly liking it that way, "A lot of blood. A lot of partying. The details are all a blur."

"Well, that is a crying shame," Klaus confessed, beginning to smile, "The details are what make it legend." 

Chicago, 1922

  Word was the Ripper of Monterrey got lonely, so he escaped to the city for comfort. It was prohibition time, everything was off-limits then, which made everything so much more fun.

  Stefan was in the backseat of a car, feeding on a random woman. When she was drained of her blood, Stefan retracted his fangs from her bleeding neck.

  He snatched the corsage from the woman's dress and pinned it to his own suit. He used his fingers to wipe the blood that was spilling the corners of his mouth before finally getting out of the car. 

He fixed his jacket, just before getting out and walking in the direction of the secret entrance of the speakeasy.

Once reaching the door, he wasted no time knocking on it. He made a gesture of a hello and with that, he was let in by the man who stood on the other side of the door.

With that, he entered Gloria's Bar and patted the doorman on the shoulder when he passed him.

He entered, finding numerous couples dancing while others conversed as they drank together.

  Gloria, the owner of the bar, stood on stage, singing a blues song. She stopped briefly, beginning to smile at the sight of Stefan standing from afar with his hands on the railing of the second level.

"Guess who my eyes just spied, ladies. Looking for a good time, Mr. Salvatore?" She announced as she continued to sway to the beat of the jazz music.