Chapter Twenty-One

Above: Jose Valdez

Above: Jose Valdez. You're welcome. 😉

"Happy birthday, mi amor."

I turn around and see Jose holding a Hostess cupcake, a pink envelope, and a small, square-shaped box with mylar wrapping.

"Eat this first, because I'm sure you skipped breakfast," he says, handing me the sugary treat.

"Thank you." I graciously accept the cupcake. "You didn't have to go all out for my birthday, though."

"You think this is all out? You should see what I have planned for later." He kisses my cheek and puts the rest of my presents into my open locker. "I gotta run, but open those when you get a chance, alright?"

"Wait, what are we doing later?"

"It's a surprise."

"Jose!"

"Love you, baby!"

I roll my eyes as he races down the hall. I'll grill him more at lunch today.

"He obviously didn't get the message that your birthday isn't a celebratory event." Damian appears beside me. He crosses his arms over his brawny chest, stares at my cupcake, and shakes his head.

"Want one? There's two per package," I offer.

"No, I don't want a cupcake. I wanna be able to get you a birthday gift," he retorts.

"You know I don't like it when people make a big deal out of my birthday," I remind him. "I told Jose not to get me anything. He just didn't listen."

"Does your dislike of birthdays have anything to do with the fact that your dad has never bothered to acknowledge the day you were born?" he inquires.

"Ah, but there's where you're wrong," I reply. "My dad doesn't acknowledge me any day of the year."

He rolls his cerulean eyes. "That's not funny."

"You take life too seriously sometimes. Lighten up." I hold out a cupcake, which he reluctantly accepts. "If I can't take my traumatic childhood and make a dark, slightly inappropriate joke out of it, then I might as well pull a Sylvia Plath and stick my head in the oven."

"Stop!" He tries to keep a serious face, but I can see the amusement in his eyes.

"In all seriousness, though, thank you." I wrap my arms around his neck and give him a hug. "Thank you for keeping my secret. Thank you for never getting me a birthday present. Thank you for just always being there for me."

"You're welcome." He holds me against his chest. "Oh, happy Sweet Sixteen, by the way!"

I chuckle. "I guess I'm lucky that I'm not Sam Baker, huh? At least people remembered my birthday."

"I would never forget your birthday, Layla," he vows.

Even though it's a silly promise inspired by a Sixteen Candles reference, I believe him. Damian Forbes hasn't let me down yet.