Chapter Thirty-Five

Song for the chapter is Crazy in Love. Feel free to give this sexy cover a listen.

Damian, Jessica, Taisley, and I saunter by the hostess and enter the night club. Taisley didn't even need to show her membership ID. One look at the Bishop heiress was all it took to get us in.

Neon lights shine around me, creating a purple and blue ambiance on the crowded dance floor. People of all ages move to an upbeat techno song, their bodies grinding against each other in a way that makes me cringe.

If I step on that floor and anyone I don't know touches me, I'm leaving.

"Drinks?" Taisley offers, nodding toward the bar.

"Could I get a sprite?" Damian asks.

"Same for me," Jessica adds, linking her arm through Damian's.

"I'll come with you, Tais," I offer, wanting to give Damian and Jessica a few minutes of alone time.

"Thanks, girl." The redhead grabs my hand and leads me toward the bar. She cuts the line, leans on the counter, and bats her mascara-laden lashes at the bartender.

"What's your poison tonight, Taisley?" he asks, eyeing her up and down like an animal on the prowl.

"Two rum and cokes," she answers, "and two sprites."

"Oh, I'm not thirsty," I say quickly. I still don't drink. One bad experience was all it took to keep me sober.

"Yes, you are," Taisley replies with a theatrical roll of her eyes. "One drink won't kill you."

I bite my tongue. Arguing with Taisley is pointless. She always gets her way.

The bartender pours our beverages. Without paying, Taisley takes the drinks, and we return to our friends.

I sip my rum and coke slowly. Already, I can feel a buzz setting in. Next to me, Taisley has devoured the contents of her glass, but she seems unfazed. In the race against drunkenness, she's winning.

"Layla, what's in your cup?" Damian whispers, eyeing my adult beverage.

I ignore the judgment in his tone and shake my head. "Nothing. Just coke."

"I can smell the booze."

"That must be Taisley's."

"You're a terrible liar. Switch with me."

"Excuse me?"

"Take my soda," he insists. "Remember the last time you got drunk? It didn't end well, and you know it."

I recall my sixteenth birthday and cringe. Damian is right—that was a horrible day. I got wasted off of two glasses of wine and almost told Jose the entirety of my tragic life story. To make a bad night worse, Damian had to put my wasted self to bed.

Begrudgingly, I hand him my half-empty glass. He downs it in two gulps and gives me his untouched sprite, as well as a signature Damian smile.

"Thank you," he says.

"Yeah, yeah." I shrug him off, eager to change to subject.

"Time to dance!" Taisley squeals. She takes my hand and drags me toward the floor, where everyone is still trying to have sex with their clothes on.

I shoot Damian and Jessica a weary glance. Jessica's hazel eyes look like pools of honey beneath the retro lights. She's stunning. Based on the way Damian stares at her, he must notice it, too.

"I love you," I hear him whisper.

"I love you, too," she responds, gazing up at him with a megawatt grin on her face.