Chapter Seventy-Four

Clutching my yearbook to my chest, I walk through the halls of Starkton High for the very last time

Graduation is tomorrow. I never imagined I'd make it this far, always assuming I'd be in a hole six feet under by now.

But here I am, picking up my cap and gown from the guidance office so I can walk across the stage with my classmates. Three months after that, Damian, Effie, and I are travelling to the east coast to start our new lives at Blackwell University.

I'm still waiting for someone to wake me from this dream. It all seems surreal.

Living the life I have has taught me not to take the little moments for granted. Something that might be an insignificant rite of passage to someone else, like graduating high school and moving across the country, means everything to me. The fact that I'm standing here now, alive and mostly well, means everything to me. I have a future—a really fucking bright one.

And I refuse to let a single second of it pass me by.

"Hey, will you sign my yearbook?"

Whirling around, my mouth hangs open as I stare, completely dumbfounded, at the pretty brunette with hazel eyes.

"You don't have to—"

"Don't be silly, Jessica," I say with a chuckle. I reach inside of my bookbag for a pen and think about what to write.

Jess,

Good luck in Chicago. I know you'll do amazing things there, because you're an amazing person.

I'm glad I was able to call you my friend. You changed my life for the better, and I'll never forget that. I'll never forget you.

Love,
Layla

Reading over my words, her bright eyes glisten with unshed tears. "Layla, I—"

"It's okay," I cut in. "I'm going to let the past rest in peace. As far as I'm concerned, there are no hard feelings between us."

She nods her head. "Yeah, I couldn't agree more."

With my free hand, I pull her into a one-armed hug. As we hold each other, two years of memories pass before my eyes: sleeping over her house for the very first time, her sixteenth birthday, movie nights, dinners at Gabby's, boy talk, girl talk, and everything in between. I smile, recalling how wonderful of a friend she was, and how I'm a better person for knowing her.

"Jess! You coming?"

She pulls away so fast that it makes my head spin. At the end of the hall, Evan is waiting for her, his impatience palpable. She offers a quick wave before running toward the quarterback and leaving me alone.

We really have come full circle, haven't we?

<><><><><><>

"To the start of the rest of our lives!" Effie exclaims, holding up her shot glass of peach liqueur. Damian and I bring our own glasses to hers with a clink and down them in one gulp.

"This stuff's nasty," Damian mumbles.

"Here, I'll help." Feeling bold, I smash my lips against his. He tastes like peaches and vodka and... Damian.

"Get a room," Effie says with a chuckle. Pouring herself another shot, she adds, "I'm not drunk enough to deal with the two of you yet."

"Well, I'm officially cutting myself off," I declare, not wanting to get sloppy in front of my friends. My relationship with alcohol is still a rocky one, and I'm determined to remain in control.

Effie continues to drink until she's pleasantly drunk. Damian takes another sip from the bottle, this time without gagging. The three of us chit-chat and laugh and enjoy our last night as Starkton High Piranhas. After we receive our diplomas tomorrow, this place will be a distant memory.

Really, really distant, I hope.

As for Hank, whatever he and I are... well, I'm trying not to think about it. Those test results left me with more questions than answers. Right now, I want to focus on the people who love me, not those who don't know I exist or flat-out wish I didn't. 

Eventually, Effie's eyes drift shut. Light snores fill the room as she gets cozy with my favorite pillow. Laughing to myself, I put a blanket over her, and then Damian pulls me to his chest.

"She's a fun drunk," he says.

I nod my head in agreement. "Yes, she is."

"But I'm glad we're alone now."

"What do you mean? Effie's still right—"

Before I can finish my thought, we're standing in Damian's room, our bodies just inches from his unmade bed.

"Now," he whispers, "we're alone."

I don't waste any time. Pushing Damian onto the bed, I kiss him hard and begin to shed my clothes.

Thirty minutes later, we're stark naked and tangled up in each other, covered head to toe in sweat from when we reached our euphoric highs together. A contented hum escapes my lips as I rest my head on his chest. He runs his fingers through my hair, his movements slow and soothing.

Grinning from ear to ear, I glance up at him. "I think I could stay like this forever. Just you and me. This bed. Clothing optional, of course."

"Forever," he whispers, his eyes glistening with adoration. He flashes his signature Damian smile before bringing his lips to my forehead. "Forever with you sounds... amazing."

"The start of freshman year, did you ever imagine this would happen?" I inquire, genuinely curious. "Did you ever think of me as more than just your friend?"

He purses his lips together, contemplating his response. "I never allowed myself to entertain those thoughts of you," he admits. "Looking back, though, it all makes sense. My hatred of every guy who got close to you. My overprotective tendencies. The fact that I always wanted you around, even when I was with other girls." Caressing my cheek, he adds, "What about you? Did you ever picture yourself falling in love with me?"

"No," I reply. "My feelings for you snuck up on me, taking me by complete surprise. I tried to fight them, bury them, pretend they didn't exist, but...." I stop, because he and I both know how this story ends.

"But you failed miserably?" he finishes, knitting his brows together.

"And thank god I did." Tilting my head up, I press a kiss to his lips. "Being your friend was wonderful, but being with you like this... well, it's perfect. You're perfect."

He rolls his eyes. "I'm hardly perfect, Layla."

"And that," I murmur, "is what makes you perfect for me."

A/N:
Next chapter is graduation 👩🏻‍🎓😭
Love you all so much! Thanks for reading with me ❤️❤️❤️