Ch. 41 The Carrows

I woke early the next day changing into my uniform. I raced down the hallway and into the great hall where Professor Slughorn approached me handing over my schedule. I watched his hand tremble as he held the schedule out to me. I smiled softly taking the paper from him. He rushed off as I rolled my eyes, perks of being a Riddle I guess.

"Natasha," Katie yelled running over to me. I smiled facing her. "It looks like defense against the dark arts is different this year, we are all going to be in the same class rather than by year."

"Really?" I said with confusion. Why would first years be exposed to the same spells as seventh years? "That's strange."

"Yeah, come on we don't want to be late," she said her blue eyes filled with excitement. I allowed her to pull me through the corridors and into the classroom. I froze seeing the Carrows standing beside each other smirking. Kate picked a seat in the front and I sat beside her.

"Good morning class," the Carrows said in unison. Something felt off, I didn't feel comfortable around them and I never felt uncomfortable around Death eaters apart from Greyback though that was for a different reason.

"We will be practicing the unforgivable curses, on each other," Alecto said as Amycus smiled at his sister. I looked at them in disbelief, there was no way my father wanted this. Amycus was the first to cast the spell and to my horror it was on Kate. She fell to the ground crying out in agony as I jumped to my feet.

"Expelliarmus!" I shouted sending Amycus' wand flying away.

"Seems we have a brave Slytherin in our midsts," Alecto smirked as I tensed. "That was very stupid." She said her harsh gaze falling on me.

"I am Natasha Riddle," I said simply as her smile widened. I expected her to cower and beg for forgiveness but instead I found her aiming her wand at me.

"Perfect," she said seconds before an unknown spell flew off the tip of her wand wordlessly. I gasped as I found myself flying through the air crashing through a few desks before everything went dark.
---
I woke with a wince. I tried to move only for my ribs to protest. I glanced around the room seeing I was in the medical wing with Madam Pomfrey. She rushed to my side handing me a potion.

"What the bloody hell happened?" I gasped drinking the medicine quickly. The pain in my side lessened as she looked at me.

"Amycus and Alecto attacked you and many other students in the name of teaching, Headmaster Snape has yet to do anything about it," she said as I got up pushing the covers away. "No you need to rest Miss Riddle!"

"I don't have the luxury. How is Miss Thrush?" I asked as Madam Pomfrey smiled weakly.

"She was only hit the one time and the spell had no lasting effects," she said firmly.

"Thank you but I need to leave. I promise I'll check in if you wish but I need to see Snape," I said firmly. Pomfrey reluctantly nodded and without hesitation I ran through the halls ignoring the dull ache in my side as I headed towards Snape's office. I reached his office entering instantly. He looked at me with a blank expression on his face.

"Yes, Miss Riddle," He said as I glared at him.

"What the bloody hell do you plan to do about the Carrows. It's bad enough they attack students, Slytherins but on top of that they attacked me and you know my father won't stand for it," I spat as Snape looked confused.

"I don't have the faintest idea to which you were referring but I can assure you the Carrows are very loyal to you father," Snape said and I could see the sincerity.

"I just came from the hospital wing after taking a spell from Alecto for preventing the continued use of the Cruciatus curse on a Slytherin," I said harshly. "Handle this or I will!" I turned on my heels exiting his office only to run into McGonagall on the way back to my common room.

"Miss Riddle, may I see you in my office?" She asked as I faced her with a smile. I followed her through the building and into her familiar office.

"Is this about the Carrows?" I asked as she nodded grimly.

"I wanted to ask if they were supposed to act that way on first years," she muttered as I shook my head.

"They also weren't supposed to attack me and yet my side still hurts," I said bitterly.

"How do you plan to handle this?" She asked as I frowned. I couldn't bother my parents seeing as they were doing very important things at the moment. I'd have to figure it out.

"I'm giving Snape the opportunity to handle it but if it continues I'll have to figure something out. My parents are dealing with something at the moment and while the matter here is a problem the Carrows haven't killed anyone which sounds harsh but my parents are trying to prevent the upcoming battle which result in so may people dying for things they don't fully understand," I murmured as she sighed but agreed. "If it escalates further then I'll get my parents involved."

"I just hope you know what you are doing Natasha," she said as I looked into her eyes.

"Me too Professor, me too," I said grimly still not fully trusting my own judgement.

"It's almost curfew so off to bed," she said after a moment of silence. I smiled at her before getting up and heading to my room. I curled up on my bed with thoughts of the Carrows in my mind. Why were they attacking people without provocation? Were they truly loyal to my father? The only I knew was I had to protect the students because no one else had the power that I did to safe guard the students.