Ch. 42 Control

The next few days were difficult. I spent most of my time shielding the other students from the Carrows. None of the other students helped and in fact I found them hindering me in some aspects. Neville had taken to picking fights with me even when I was helping other students accusing me of hurting them. I knew why he acted that way, my mother had driven his parents to madness in an effort to locate me.

"Ash," Draco called to me. I turned towards him calmly. "When do you think the battle will start?"

"Whenever Harry wants it to," I muttered softly. "My parents won't be the ones to start it."

"Well that's comforting," he said sarcastically. I froze as the task my father left me floated through my mind. I rolled my eyes once at Draco before taking his arm dragging him towards the room of requirement. I had been so busy dealing with the Carrow issue I had forgotten the Horcuxes.

"I have a task and I need you to make sure no one comes in. Just so you know before you ask I can't tell you what I'm doing and no matter what stay outside until I finish," I told him firmly. I looked at my engagement ring before deciding I'd make my ring the knew horcrux as I can protect it better if the object was on me.

I entered the room of requirement shutting my eyes. I released my magic sending it through the whole room allowing it to guide me to the diadem. I walked through the room with my eyes still closed and my right hand out. I felt the cool metal press into my hand roughly as it flew into my hand. I opened my eyes looked at the stunning diadem in my grasp.

I took a breath to steady myself before I began the spell to strip the piece of my father's soul from the object. My eyes were a vibrant red and my magical core ached as I ripped his soul off the diadem. I held out my left hand carefully guiding the piece of his soul to my ring. I wince in pain as his soul latched onto the ring taking a small piece of my own magic with it. Magic however was like a liver, losing a piece didn't do permanent damage and instead my magic would grow back to the strength I previously had in a few weeks. Until then I needed to be slightly more cautious though my magic was still stronger than most even missing a piece. I smiled once the spell completed putting the diadem somewhere random inside the room knowing Potter would still probably search for it.

I exited the room only for Draco to look at me with an unspoken question.

"I finished and it went well, that's all I can say," I muttered as he gave a small nodded.

"You seem different," he murmured as I pulled him to the side.

"I gave a piece of my magic doing that spell so I'm a little short on magic at the moment," I smirked at him before continuing, "but don't worry, I could still beat you at a duel." He pushed me lightly both of us laughing.

"We should head back towards the Carrows classroom. Who knows what they did in your absence," Draco said causing the joy to be sucked from the room as a frown spread across my lips. We both turned walking quickly down the hall without a word. I breathed a sigh of relief to find the Carrows conversing and the students reading. None of the students seemed to be in pain so the Carrows hadn't done anything. Once Draco and I had entered their eyes snapped over to us. Their smile spread when they noticed a slightly decrease in the power the always oozed off me.

"Miss Riddle, to the front," Alecto ordered. Draco gripped my arm with concern but I shook him off as I strode forward with confidence allowing my eyes to shine red as a show of force.

"You were late and you know what we do to people who are late," Amycus said causing me to laugh.

"You could try," I retorted as Alecto raised her wand. Without a word she sent a spell at me but unlike last time I was ready and deflected the spell back towards her. She cried out in pain collapsing on the floor causing Amycus to rush to her side. I smirked as Alecto got to her feet slowly. "Want another go?"

"Take your seat Riddle," Amycus growled as I swiftly turned and headed for the open seat next to Draco.

"Nat, I still don't understand why they are acting this way," Draco said as I perused my lips.

"I have a few ideas but I can't confirm them until we head home for Christmas seeing as they are invited to the party at the manor," I whispered to Draco before we both turned back to our work though I was always tensed ready to defend anyone from the Carrows. It was only a matter of time before I knew what was happening with the Carrows.
---
A few hours later I found myself reading a letter from my parents, mostly my father. They had coded the letter by putting it in parseltongue knowing only Harry or I could read it.

Dearest Natasha,
We are so proud of you for the things you have done. We have heard from Severus that you are excelling in your studies. Your mother and I were the tops of our year just as I suspect you are.

How is life as a Slytherin? Is there any news to report on your end about the Potter boy and his army?

I felt you completed your task and for that I thank you. I hope the cost of that spell wasn't too high on you Natasha. Your mother was reluctant to even ask you to do that task but I am grateful you completed it. You remind me of your mother more than you know. Your fiery attitude and fierce loyalty are just a few ways you and your mother are alike. Good luck with your studies and I will see you for the Yule celebration in a few weeks.
Sincerely,
Your Father and Mother