Chapter 1

Lily Kline cut the ignition of her Ford sedan and pulled down the visor, tugging her fingers though her wind-tousled hair and squinting at her reflection in the mirror. Frowning, she dug through her purse and pulled out a comb, running it through her latte-brown hair. It settled about her shoulders. Satisfied with the result, she ran a mauve lipstick over her lips and flipped up the visor.

With her purse over her shoulder, she stepped out of the car and smoothed out the slight creases in her sage-green dress. It hugged her hips and tapered at the knees; sophisticated but casual all the same. It was also a warm outfit, thankfully, as the autumn air was cool.

Lily glanced at her green high-heels and flesh-toned pantyhose, checking for even the slightest run; and finding everything intact, felt presentable enough to meet her fellow joint heir for the first time.

Having been raised by a single mother, she knew of only a handful of relatives; some aunts and uncles on her birth father's side. Otherwise, she'd always been told that her mother was an orphan.

Until a week ago, that is.

A prestigious law firm had contacted Lily to inform her that her maternal grandfather had passed away and left her half his fortune and joint-ownership of his estate.

In the frenzied, hazy week of preparations that followed, Lily had wondered time and time again why her grandfather had never sought her out while he still lived. He obviously knew she existed or he wouldn't have bequeathed his wealth to her. And if her grandfather was so wealthy, why had her birth mother lived in borderline poverty? The only conclusion she could draw was that father and daughter had been estranged. Either her mother had been banished—or had run away.

Lily fluffed her hair a little with both hands, which failed to add bounce, and lifted her chin with feigned confidence. She marched up the walkway; high heels clicking on the slabbed-stone as she went. The path lead from the gated half-circle driveway to a deep-set and sequestered Gothic mansion. She inhaled the crisp fall air deeply, admiring the various chimneys and turrets protruding above the surrounding treetops.

Before ascending the front steps to the three-story mansion, she paused to gaze upward at an azure sky, giving a sweeping glance behind her as well. An acre-sized front lawn separated the estate from the tall wrought-iron gates and a row of mature willows that lined the road. Dense forestland surrounded the back and sides of the estate. The grass was neatly trimmed, leaf-blown and well-kept, and chrysanthemums of yellow and burgundy lined the foundation of the mansion and various stone walkways. The nearest neighbor was a good four miles away and as the lawyers had explained, the property was nearly 500 acres deep and mostly forest and wetland.

Her grandfather had clearly lived an extremely secluded life.

A hermit in a palace.

Vines covered in russet leaves crawled up and across the stone walls like a human nervous system; groups of symmetrical, leaded-glass lancet windows breaking their pathways at regular intervals.

Lily's breath caught with awe and admiration as she ascended the dozen or so stone steps leading up to the front entrance. When she reached the top, she stood warmed by the sunlight and examined a petal-shaped quatrefoil window encased in the archway above two heavy-duty oak doors.

On each side of the doors, a white marble creature sat on-guard atop a stone pedestal. They each had muscular bulldog bodies and fierce faces framed with the knotted curls of a lion's mane; razor-toothed mouths opened in gaping snarls. The marble was in sharp contrast to the prevalent stone work and she decided right away that they were out of place; as though added rather recently. Perhaps her grandfather had installed them. They didn't look as ancient or weathered as the rest of the medieval architecture.