Chapter 25

"Lily—" a muffled male voice shouted from behind the closed doors.

The killer turned her around as the doors opened inward.

Ian stared back at them.

"I'm sorry, Ian," she sputtered.

"They're over there—" a voice shouted from the front yard, drawing their attention.

It was Varkis.

"Get down the stairs," the killer ordered Ian, his breath moist and foul against her cheek. "And close the doors behind you."

Ian stepped out, closed the doors and moved past them slowly, his hands raised and eyes never leaving the assailant.

A dozen gargoyles charged towards them across the front greensward, Varkis in the lead, sending up great splashes of water from the soaked turf.

"Stay back—all of you," the killer shouted, pressing the blade tighter against Lily's throat. A trickle of blood fell down her neck like a drop of warm water.

She winced from the sting and pushed her head further back against the man's chest to relieve some of the pressure; but he merely tightened his grip.

"Do as he says," Ian yelled, motioning for the gargoyles to cease their approach.

Varkis came to a halt, palm raised to the creatures behind him. "Is that Callamous?" he snarled through barred teeth, staring at the heaped form of the unicorn atop the stairs.

Ian nodded.

The assassin pointed his gloved index finger at Ian. "You—Come with me. The rest of you beasts—make yourselves scarce. If anyone follows me, the girl dies."

"I'll be coming with you," a human voice sounded from behind the wall of gargoyles.

Mike stepped out from behind the group, his pants and bandages soaked with rain and clinging to his body, and a pistol in hand. He mounted the steps to where Callamous lay.

"Ahh, now there you are," the killer said with a note of satisfaction. "I was beginning to think they'd killed you, but you delivered the goods nonetheless."

Ian narrowed his gaze at Mike. "You traitor."

Mike's expression was impassive, his eyes seemingly vacant.

"Yes," the assassin interrupted, "he delivered the girl right to me, in fact. The only thing missing was some gift wrap and a pretty bow."

Mike opened the door and gestured for them to enter.

With Mike in tow, the gun pointed at Ian, the assassin dragged Lily along in front, and they went into a sitting room. At Mike's instruction, Ian retrieved a flashlight and opened up a wall panel. They entered the darkness between the walls. Ian went first, though unwillingly, and was followed by Mike. The killer released his grip on Lily and turned her around so that she stood in front of him—with the blade of the dagger in the small of her back.

"Where are you taking us?" she asked.

"Ian's torture chamber."

"His—what?"

"The vat room," Mike interjected with impatience.

The vat room? A shudder coursed through her body. There was no possible way of escape now.

"Why did you call it a torture chamber?" she dared to ask the killer.

"Just shut up and you'll soon find out." The tip of the dagger pressed deeper into her shirt and she straightened her back.