Chapter 32

"No." Hannah jerked her hand free and withdrew a gun from the waistband of her skirt. "What if that's Ian or Lily lying on the ground over there?"

Miriam put a hand out to stop Hannah. "Stop. Let me."

The Head Oreala stepped forward in the direction of the glowing orbs. "Show yourself, creature of the night," she said loud and clear. "Are you a friend or foe?"

"I'm neither your friend nor your foe," came a deep, gravelly voice. "But I recognize you as Ian's comrades. Therefore, I will not kill you."

"Oh, for goodness sake," Hannah said with a huff, stepping forward. "If you don't want to be a friend, that's fine with me—I have plenty. All I care about is whether that is Ian or Lily over there." She pointed at the shadowy mound on the grass, too far for her to see clearly.

"You would do well to shut your trap, woman, before you draw all of Morack's creatures to your side," the gravelly voice continued. "They have the hearing ability of wolves."

"Woman!" she gasped, ignoring his warning. "I have never been treated with such disrespect—"

"Hannah, shush," Miriam whispered, putting a hand on her shoulder. "He's right—we're being much too noisy."

Hannah snorted. "All this talk of monsters and I've yet to see a single one."

"Then what am I?" the creature said, stepping forward out of the darkness.

Hannah's hands went limp at her side and she nearly dropped the handgun.

It was like an otherworldly Black Beauty, its jaws open from ear-to-ear exposing jagged thorn-like teeth, and no flesh at all on its skull. It stared down at her like a Gytrash steed, ready to cart her off to hell.

Miriam clamped a hand over Hannah's mouth, stifling her scream, and wrapped her other arm around her, pinning her in place. Hannah struggled to break free. Her elderly heart pounded against the prison walls of her chest and she struggled to breathe.

"It's a unicorn, "Miriam whispered, "one of the most dangerous and respected creatures in Alvernia." She didn't let go but turned to address the creature. "So, what are you doing here, Great Unicorn? And whose body is that over yonder? Is it dead or alive?"

"My name is Callamous," it said, "and I'm here to help the girl, Lily, destroy Morack." His eyes flashed. "Forget about the body. The one you care about is over there, around the side." He gestured to the right side of the mansion. "Ian."

Hannah squealed behind Miriam's soft hand and struggled once more. Ian, no, not Ian!

"I'll let you go," Miriam said gently, "but you have to promise to stay still and be quiet."

She nodded her head, acquiescing, and Miriam let go.

The terror Hannah had felt at the sight of the unicorn was long gone with the overwhelming fear that Ian was dead. Every bone in her body ached to rush forward but she stood stock still, looking at the unicorn; waiting for a cue to proceed.

"His brother did this," said the unicorn, gesturing from them to follow with a toss of his snout. "Kurik."

"I'll kill him," she growled, plunging forward and slipping on the wet grass. She windmilled her arms to keep upright.

"Already done," said Callamous calmly. "That's Kurik's dead body back there."

Hannah continued her advance, this time with cautious steps; squishy in the grass. She reached the unconscious form of Ian and dropped to her knees, oblivious to the icy rainwater soaking her skirt. She took his hand in her own and held it to her cheek. It was warm. His eyes were closed, breathing labored.